Author Topic: New to the city  (Read 3747 times)

JudithM

Re: New to the city
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »
Never realised that you couldn't put black plastic in the recycling as the scanners at the recycling plants don't recognise it.
Yay for automation!

Maybe they should employ some actual people for a change - they'd be able to spot them.  Or even get it done as prison work...

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Des Gardner

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »
I used to work for the Birmingham City Council refuse plant in the 60s 70s and I left in the early 80s.....everything then was done manually eg. sorting the rags bottles and bones out on 2 conveyor belts, the tin cans was sucked out of the rubbish by a huge magnet, the tin cans were then baled and crushed into blocks, cardboard was baled too along with the old rags and carpets, this was all sold, washing machines fridges was dismantled for scrap, the rest was burnt, the ashes were taken to a landfill tip, the powers that be at the time thought they knew better and decided on cut backs I believe 10-15% of the workforce left with a VR payment I was one of them, In my mind until this happened they had the most perfect system in operation........little did they know it was just the start of all the troubles that have happened ever since.........it came also under the name of the latest technology!

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 04:44:47 PM »
Hello Des.Nice to read your comments ,I remember using the refuse depot quite a bit in the 60-70. And everything seemed to work quite well.Why is it that you always get someone come along with all these so called wonderful ideas that cost jobs and turn the system into complete  ridicule.Yet they are heaped with praise.These are the people that should loose their jobs.As for the new bins for recycling they look disgraceful standing in front gardens.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy