Author Topic: South Pole Corner (Long Acre/Thimble mill lane)  (Read 2248 times)

tarantini

South Pole Corner (Long Acre/Thimble mill lane)
« on: December 05, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »
Anyone ever heard it called this, or why? I was born in one of the houses there, just opposite the prince of wales. Does anyone know if any images exist of those houses? I wold love to see one.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: South Pole Corner (Long Acre/Thimble mill lane)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 05:00:10 PM »
Hi tarantini

Welcome to the forum, I was asked this question recently on another forum, my answer now has to be the same as then I haven't a clue. Like the poster then I had never heard this location called by this name and only seen it on old maps.

I'm sorry but I haven't been able to come up with any photos that show the junction other than one after the demolition of most of it. The other are near misses and a map of the location. If you indicate where you actually lived I might be able to to better (only might).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tarantini

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »
Thank you. I have never seen that picture of the Prince before. Whoever took this piccy could have just turned a bit to the left and be able to see the house I was born in. I know I will find a piccy one day. The old houses were left half demolished for years, and I remember my Dad pointing out the wallpaper that he hung LOL. I would have been about five and not really that interested, at the time (prob more interested in my plain crisps and lemonade I was drinking whilst sat on the front step of the POW. If only I had a cemera with me at that time  ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
So did you live in those houses at the Long Acre junction of Thimble Mill Lane shown in the last photo?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tarantini

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »
No mate. in the piccy of the POW, the old Marina car is about to drive past our row of houses

tarantini

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 12:54:55 PM »
Looking at the map, it seems we were the diagonal corner to what I thought was the south pole corner. How things get twisted as years go by eh?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 03:10:53 PM »
tarantini

I'm still no closer to locating where you lived, if you give me the address of the house you lived at then there a slight possibility that I might be able to find a photo of your house for you. Or I might be able to access one from friends if I don't have one myself.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tarantini

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 09:05:21 PM »
Sorry for the confusion Phil, and for the delay in getting back to you. I have opened the laptop at home and being on South Pole Corner is correct (I was looking at the map the wrong way round and it was quite pixelated). I can not remember the no. , I was only there til 6 months old, and unfortunately both of my parents have passed away. My Brother thinks it may be No. 67, which is prob about right as the bank that now occupies the space now has a postal address of 79.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

tarantini

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 09:02:34 AM »
Phil
I have blown the thimble mill lane piccy up, and our row of houses are in the pic :-) On the right is Newtons, the Prince of Wales is the small building attached to newtons then across the way our house is in the foreground of the church (looks like some white advertising boards or something like that are to the LH side on the waste land)

Superb if this was high resolution. I am sure there is a better piccy out there. Thanks so much for this.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 11:28:20 AM »
tarantini

These are the houses in that previous photo, running from number 87 to number 107, it looks like it was taken shortly before they were demolished.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tarantini

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »
Thanks Phil, I will email my Brother so he can point out which one was ours. They look *rap holes, but still part of my heritage all the same.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy