Author Topic: Cato Street, Saltley 1930s  (Read 3141 times)

Jamie280292

Cato Street, Saltley 1930s
« on: December 23, 2018, 11:27:09 PM »
hey all, I have been digging through some belongings my Nan left after she passed away. Her name was Olive Parry, she lived at 74 Cato Street North in Saltley circa 1930. I would love to see some photos or hear from people who potentially had relatives who lived/worked in the area around that time. I would hugely appreciate anything you guys have to offer :)

Feel free to email me...

Jamiedunning live.co.uk

Thanks,
Jamie

Edmund Fifield

Re: Cato Street, Saltley 1930s
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 11:36:12 PM »
Hi Jamie ,My uncle opened a crisp factory in Saltley Rd at the bottom of Cato St in 1955 called RTPCrisps
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Jamie280292

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »
Ah fantastic, thank you Edmund. Would I be correct in believing that RTP Crisps is now the Brolly Works apartments? (I used to be an estate agent in Birmingham City Centre)

I am actually driving over to Saltley today to take a trip around the Cato St and the surrounding areas. It would be amazing if there was a local historian who could help me delve into my family history, from my understanding I have quite an interesting family but I don’t know many people with information about them.

Thanks again Edmund, if you know anything else that would great.

James

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 09:01:23 AM »

hi james welcome to the forum   have a look at this topic just click this link you may find it of interest to you it has photos of cato street

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jamie280292

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 10:53:52 AM »
Hi Roy,

Thanks for this, I will drop a note in that forum.

Thanks,

James

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 10:54:13 AM »
Hi Jamie

Welcome to the forum, I'm pretty certain I have posted these photo's before on the thread Roy has directed you to, but as it is a pretty long thread it might take you hours to find them.

Your Nan living at 74 Cato Street North would have lived near the top of the hill on the left hand side of the road opposite the Albion Vaults public house just a few doors short of where E N Williams Co Ltd on the first photo, the actual house would have been in the vicinity of PC Tools Ltd now,

The other photos show The Albion Vaults and a view looking up the street from Saltley Road end which shows the old Brewery building (the large building) which was a Tube Bending factory when I worked there for a short while in the 60's.

I'm sorry I can't manage to find a photo of your Nan's house.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »
Jamie,in the early 50s on the corner of Cato St North was a greengrowcers which was run by my  uncle Joey Parslow and Joan his wife.When as a youngster I worked for my uncle Horace Round at RTP in my school holidays I used to go and get an apple for my dinner(was fed up of crisps) of him.

Jamie280292

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »
This is really fantastic, thank you Phil & Edmund.

As mentioned, I am going to take a trip to Saltley today and put some reality to the pictures.

I have also commented in the suggested forum, let’s see what I get back!

I appreciate your time and quick responses.

James

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »
Jamie,after moving to the warehouse just of Digbeth(they didn't cook the crisps anymore) they bought them in from different company's and became a confectioners.RTP still exist today' inNechalls run by his Daughter Beverly and family.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy