Author Topic: 60's Birmingham Band - The Second City Sound  (Read 1806 times)

Ian Dalziel

60's Birmingham Band - The Second City Sound
« on: January 06, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »
Does any one remember the Second City Sound? They used to play to a packed house every Saturday evening, Sunday lunchtime and evening at the Viking pub (opposite the Ice Rink) Lode Lane, Sheldon. I think they also played at the Custard House and other pubs around Birmingham. They won 'Opportunity Knocks' 6 weeks running.

They had a unique sound, mainly due to their brilliant keyboard player who invented an early string synthesizer. For those who are interested in music, this website explains what happened to his invention  https://www.soundonsound.com/people/ken-freeman-birth-string-synthesis

They would play every tune that was in the current top 20 and we wondered how they would cope when the Beach Boys wrote 'Good Vibrations' but Ken Freeman captured the sound perfectly.

I think Polly Brown was on Base guitar and vocals and she later left to join 'Pickettywitch'.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: 60's Birmingham Band - The Second City Sound
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 04:33:41 PM »
Ian

I think I caught this band a couple of times in the 60's but not in the Viking it might have been the Custard House. Though you certainly wouldn't want to visit the Viking (Hobs Meadow) now, it reminds me of a motorway services. The Custard House is now closed and a day nursery last time I heard, there aren't many of the old venues left.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

robx52

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:12:38 PM »
Phil I think you're being disrespectful to motorway services.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
Phil I think you're being disrespectful to motorway services.

I've been in there when it was a good pub, I've been in there when it was a mediocre pud and the last time I was in there after a funeral it was an awful pub.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy