Author Topic: House of Lerose  (Read 1159 times)

Marikaki

House of Lerose
« on: January 06, 2019, 08:54:02 PM »
Hello everyone!

Delighted to find a few great local forums to post on relating to Birmingham – an amazing place and a City I will always be grateful to.

I thought I’d pop by to chat a little bit about my wonderful mum and hope that maybe someone remembers her from days passed. Perhaps even help me find a few of her colleagues and friends; this, I feel sure, mum would love.

I read a few posts here on a company called House of Lerose in Henrietta Street, Birmingham. I understand the founder of Lerose was a gentleman called Mr Rose.

My mum's name is Arety. She is an adorable Greek lady and an incredible mother - I am very blessed.[size=78%] [/size]

Mum’s first ever job here was working in Mr Rose’s factory not long after we arrived in the UK – I think it was around 1964. She absolutely loved it!
I think mum started as a machinist and then progressed to Section Supervisor.

When Mr Rose went on to launch Just Jersey in Temple Street (1970s-1980s) he asked mum to work from this shop and offer customers a garment alteration service. I smile when I think of those days as I remember mum’s excitement when one very special customer visited the shop – this was a lady called Noele Gordon (Meg Richardson from Crossroads)… sweet memories.

Some of the names I recall from childhood include Mr Rose, Mr Denning, Mrs E, Valerie Massey, Teresa an Italian lady, Hilda, Irene and many more.

And so… if anyone recalls mum or even me… please do let me know – I can’t tell you how happy this would make mum and me too!

Thank you everyone for your time!!

vamann

Re: House of Lerose
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »
I used to know a young lady who was a machinist at Lerose in the mid sixties, her name was Pauline Thompson and was aged about 21 in 1966.  I remember her buying her own overlocker and making clothes from the Jersey she could purchase at cost price.

Marikaki

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 11:56:20 AM »
Hi vamann - just to say thank you for your reply - I dare say mum may well have know her! Thanks again. Marikaki.

vamann

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 07:37:23 AM »
Hi vamann - just to say thank you for your reply - I dare say mum may well have know her! Thanks again. Marikaki.
pleasure.  Also seem to remember her using crimpeline [size=78%]which she brought home from work.[/size]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy