Author Topic: Can anyone pinpoint where this photo was taken please ?  (Read 3029 times)

amanda wright

Can anyone pinpoint where this photo was taken please ?
« on: January 08, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »
Can any of you recognise where this is please ?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Can anyone pinpoint where this photo was taken please ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 11:32:31 AM »
Hi Amanda

My first guess would be on Icknield Street opposite Springfield Library, but I will see if I can come up with anyring t confirm it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »
Hi Again Amanda

I know I have already answered this question elsewhere, but I just thought that posters here who might be interested should see the results of my search also. The photo I am posting comes from the book by Margaret Hanson, David Harvey and Peter Drake "The Inner Circle Birmingham's No 8 Bus Route"
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:15:24 PM »

and how it might have looked  on a dull winters day

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »
It seems that there could be quite some doubt as to the location of this bus, even though the location is stated quite clearly with the photo I found. I'm afraid it looks like another case where we should not take for granted any information printed with old photos.

After going back to the book after doubts had been raised concerning the location I found this photo on the same page under the original photo. It shows that it is obviously two different locations.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 05:30:15 PM »
Phil I have been following this and I must say from the off I too had  doubts about the location of the first Photograph. My first thought was was St Lukes Rd  I have a recollection of the No, 8 route being diverted during the redevelopment of the area.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

amanda wright

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 05:51:16 PM »

Do any of you think that the original photo culd be at the top of Witton Road…. ?
I found this photo and the building looks the same to me .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 06:16:58 PM »
Amanda

A couple of points the number 8 didn't run down Witton Road, the church has a wall in front of it, the baptist church has a wall in front of it and always has. There is no wall in view on your original photo.

I think Spuds suggestion of a St Luke's Road diversion during the Belgrave Middleway construction has a lot of merit as there were a lot of churches, schools, and homes in that road. It bears further investigation at least.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 09:05:34 AM »
I am fairly sure about St Lukes Rd I remember getting off the No8 there to go to the Old Bristol Cinema this would be in the Mid 50s
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 08:58:53 PM »

I am fairly sure about St Lukes Rd I remember getting off the No8 there to go to the Old Bristol Cinema this would be in the Mid 50s

spud I was thinking the same has you I remember it in the 1951 or 52 my mom and me had been to 5 ways and we got the number 8 bus I think it was about 18.30  when we got to the Bristol road by the church  a bus inspector told us this is has far has the bus was going because of the fog we was only going to the top of belgrave road   but in the road they had paraffin lamps burning the fog was so thick you could not see more than  5 foot in front of you

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Scipio

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »

Spud study the differences between the windows in the original photo and the windows on St Lukes Rd they don't match up mate , I think we ought to be looking at school architecture as well as churches .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy