Author Topic: Civilian war dead memorial???  (Read 1605 times)

Empson

Civilian war dead memorial???
« on: January 16, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »
I understand there is a memorial to the civilian war dead of WW2.  A cousin of mine was killed in 1940 when an unexploded bomb exploded. Somewhere in Aston i believe. He was just 16 and went sightseeing when he heard about the bomb.  Does this memorial exist and does anyone know where it is?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Civilian war dead memorial???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:19:16 PM »
Empson

There are many civilian dead war memorials in Birmingham, but I suspect you mean the tree of life memorial that is in the Bull Ring just inside Edgbaston Street adjacent to St Martins Church.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 06:05:42 PM »
hi empson i have 2 members of my family on the tree of life memorial which gives the names of all brums civilian dead...their house took a direct hit in erdington...if you would like to give me your cousins name i will check the list to see if his name is on memorial

lyn

Empson

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 04:24:27 PM »
Re civilian war dead memorial. Cousins name was I believe Bertram Gennoe. He was 16; years old when he died
Thanks for your help.

astoness

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 08:42:35 AM »
hi empson just looked in a book i have that lists the names of all civilian dead and bertrams ernest glennoe is listed aged 14...i happened to be near the bull ring today so i looked on the tree of life memorial but sadly his name is not there which is not uncommon as names have been added since the memorial was erected..i believe that relatives can ask for names to be added at i believe no cost but that would need to be verified...if you would like to do that i can find out who you need to contact...

i have also looked on the BARRA(birmingham air raids rememberance association) site and it says

Bertram Ernest Gennoe was killed on the 03 December 1940 at Corner of Clayton Road and Gate Street. Bertram was 15 years of age when this happened.[/size]
Additional Notes:[/size]
198 Drews Lane Ward End[/size]Relatives of Bertram :-Edwin Gennoe (Father)Dorothy Gennoe (Mother)

ps i would think that 198 drews lane was the address where he lived...clayton road and gate st where he died is in saltley so not aston as you thought

lyn

Empson

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 07:32:26 AM »
A stones, you are a gem.  Yes you are correct in that the family lived in Drews lane. I understand Bertram heard the news of the UXB and went to see whatever was happening.  His folks went round all the hospitals when He didn’t come home. I believe there were four older children and a younger one at the time and no one knew where he’d gone.

I thought I had been told the memorial was at Gate Street. Do you know if that still exists or if there was or is a memorial there.?  If there is it would be good to go and get a photo to include in the Family photos and tree.

Empson

astoness

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 09:37:32 PM »
happy to help empson....i would think it unlikely to have an individual memorial at gate st ..here is todays streetview of both corners of gate st and clayton road...cant be sure which corner it was where bertram died but its one of those....very sad story but typical of a young lad to want to investigate as many did...bertram really should be honoured somewhere and the tree of life is the best place..i dare say a few names have been missed off it so if you would like i dont mind contacting BARRA for you to make some enquires...do you know where bertram is buried...link below for todays view of gate st

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4930001,-1.8598393,3a,75y,226.64h,81.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3vOisnYYQb3c10GjXeozTQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

lyn

Elmo0498

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 05:28:02 PM »
Empson, I know this is an old feed but need to get hold of you as I have some medals that belonged to Edwin Gennoe. Found them 30 years ago in a cupboard at my nan’s house. Been trying to track someone down to give them back.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 07:42:14 PM »
Elmore try a Personal message. To him.Go to his name.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy