Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329195 times)

Daisy1

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
Hi Phil,

I don't know what the original use was of Norton Hall, but as an annex of St Saviours school it was certainly used a lot, it was the youth club from St Saviours church and the WI used it, I think if memory serves me right, there was a large air raid shelter in the grounds.
I am in touch with Brian Niblett who lived directly opposite it.
Regards daisy (Rita)

pudding

« Reply #287 on: March 08, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »
Hi Daisy1, is this the norton hall you are referring to?
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »
That building looks as it has been altered vastly over the years. All I can say is if it bears the name Norton then it was probably a gift to the people of Saltley from Charles Bowyer Adderley who owned Saltley and donated most of the buildings of interest in the district to the City of Birmingham. He later became The First Baron Norton.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gibson

« Reply #289 on: March 08, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
  Phil
Regarding the shop corner of George Arthur Road/Alum Rock Road,
The time frame of 1957 is definatly right,   I got married at St Saviours Church,  in 1957,  and I was a new housewife doing my weekly shop, when I walked into that shop, and as I said before, it was only the strong smell of spices, that led me to believe it was owned by Asians, but you are right in saying that there were not many Asian shops at that time, I knew of none, perhaps that was the first, I wish that I had paid more attention.
  The Rock was a great shopping area in those days, whatever you needed, you could get up the Rock,
I would not go down there now, even if I was paid to go.

Daisy1

« Reply #290 on: March 08, 2013, 06:38:52 PM »
Hello Pudding,

We it must be Norton Hall because it says so above the building, but I think it has changed a lot since I left the area about fifty years ago.
[size=78%] I have a friend that I am still in contact with who lived  on the corner of Ralph Rd, it was a shop called Allaways tv and radio, does anyone remember it. My friend is called Jayne, she had an older sister Peggy and a younger brother David.[/size]

Daisy

townie

« Reply #291 on: March 08, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »
If i remember right we used to play football at school against a school called St Savious i never new were this school was. Am i right by reading the comments that it was by the rock cinena.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Daisy1

« Reply #292 on: March 08, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »
Yes denniscarole St Saviours school was next door to the Rock cinema.

Daisy

townie

« Reply #293 on: March 08, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »
Thanks Daisy As i don't live in birmingham anymore, do you know if its still there.

Daisy1

« Reply #294 on: March 08, 2013, 10:39:13 PM »
The old school was knocked down many years ago and a modern school built on the same site. I haven't been down that way for many years now, but I am on a couple of Birmingham forums that have up to date information.

Daisy

townie

« Reply #295 on: March 08, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »
I have been told that the 55 bus ( Shard End ) just thought i would add that in, has been diverted and does not go via Alum rock Can anybody tell me why?   

fran

« Reply #296 on: March 08, 2013, 11:03:40 PM »
Yes pudding thankyou that is Norton hall Ralph road. And if we are talking about an Asian shop at the end of George Arthur road it was called medina stores in the 70,s

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy