Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329206 times)

Daisy1

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »
Thanks from me also Phil, I too went to that Church for Sunday school, and the photograph of the No8 bus in Adderley Rd is outside of the barbers where my husband and then my sons had their hair cut.
There was also a dental repairs and and a cafe there.

Daisy

Steve

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 08:41:16 PM »
I lived in Arden Rd, Saltley, and often went swimming at George Arthur Rd Baths.
 My Grandparents Harold and Annie Skinner lived on the corner of Ellesmere Rd till 1950ish before moving to a smaller house in Arley rd off Washwood heath.
 Grandad had his bicycle Shop on the corner of St Saviours at the top of Arden Rd.
If you had a wireless, that's where you would change your accumalator.

I recall the Vets Shop facing the Tilt Hammer. They had various pickle jars in the window. One had about 30 large pebbles in it removed from an Alsatian's stomach. Another had a kitten with 8 legs, the second set growing out of it's back.
 Next door or a bit further down was the fishing tackle shop, where we bought our 'catty' 'lastic.
  I remember the Supermarket on the Rock opening, wasn't it Tesco's? I took my Mum there one Friday as I was meeting my girlfriend who was a cashier there. Mum spent loads on the special offers and there was too much for us to carry onto the bus. I phoned a friend who put the shopping still in the trolley in the van, dropping the trolley off the next day.
 I'm digressing again. Across from there, a little down was Lloyd's Bank, then the butchers, who until the Mixie always had rabbts & hares hanging on the support rods of the window shades.
  Next to the cinema was S. Nutt's shop which sold and repaired sewing machines. I think it became Rediffusion later on. Across from there on the right a bit further up was Mick the Greek's Cafe.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Lindyloo

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 10:34:33 PM »
Hi Saddlebag,
Mike Shirley,
I read with interest your message dated 5th August could I be that girl you went to school with ? I attended Amberley Preparatory School
My Grandfather was H.B. Oldacres the ironmongers you mentioned he had two daughters Jean (my Mum) and Valerie.
The reason I joined this forum was because I was trying to find some information/ pictures of my Grandads shop or the Rock Cinema where my Step Dad was a projectionist.
My Grandparents lived in College Rd I can remember going to Braggs with my Nan.

Lindyloo

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »
Hi Lindyloo

Welcome to the best Forum in Birmingham, you will find some photos of the Rock Cinema on the History Board at post 98 of the old cinemas of the past thread. I'll see if I can find anything about your granfathers shop.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »
Hi Again Lindyloo

I have found at 45 to 47 Alum Rock Rd H.B.Oldacre Builders Ltd. That number was roughly between George Arthur Rd and Ralph Rd on the same side of the road. This information is from the 1950 edition of Kelly's Trade Directory.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Lindyloo

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info found the picture of the Rock Cinema still hunting for my Grandads shop.
Lindyloo

Shirley

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »
Hi Lindyloo,

When were you at Amberley Prep? i was there in 1955 to 1959, in my class was Christine & Sheila Oakley (Dr. Oakley's twin daughters) Anne Crainer, Bruce Bennett & Ian Snow. Most of my family worked at Charles Bragg's, i was also friendly with Pamela Cope she was from Cope's Newsagents, she went to Amberley as well. I lived in Ralph Road, the Oldacre i new was called Jackie.

Look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Mike Shirley

Lindyloo

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 08:20:07 PM »
Hi Mike,

I am Jackie and my Mum and Aunty both worked for my Grandfather who shop was H B Oldacres.
I have a photo of myself at Amberley and have tried on several occasions to find information on it, as to the year I was there it must have been 1953/4.
I remember Braggs as my Nan had this ritual of going there every week.

Lindyloo

Shirley

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »
Hi Lindyloo (Jackie),

I remember how lovely the grounds and gardens were at Amberley and the big fishponds that were there. All thats left now of the old Amberley is one of the Pre-fabricated classrooms and of course they knocked the big house down and built some horrible high rise flats!!, could you send me a copy of the photo of Amberley if possible, i may remeber one or 2 faces!!

Braggs made some wonderful cakes and when i was old enough i got myself a  Saturday job helping my Uncle Les who worked for Braggs for many years with his deliveries, one of the biggest customers was Rackhams we made several journeys on a Saturday there to keep them supplied.

Can i be rude and ask how old you are!!! because i think you may have been in my Brother Peter's Class at school.

Mike Shirley

Lindyloo

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 05:29:57 PM »
Hi Mike,

I have just found the photgraph taken at Amberley and it is dated 1955 I would have been 6, the boys are all on the left of the picture girls  to the right and I am sat in the middle,so I guess you must be in the picture. The teachers are all standing at the back. Do you have a copy?
Jackie

Shirley

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »
Hi Lindyloo (Jackie),

Unfortunately i dont have a copy could you send me a copy to my e-mail address
[email protected]

Was John Oakley in your class?

Many Thanks

Mike Shirley

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy