Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329166 times)

Steve

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #605 on: November 09, 2016, 10:26:43 AM »
It was the Tote Club as it was known in the 50's. I was sent there to put a neighbours numbers on and pay his subs once.
Later in life I finished off a night out on the booze there, never went again as their prices were too high.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

GardenGerald

« Reply #606 on: November 09, 2016, 07:43:21 PM »
Anyone know the name of the pub across the road from Southalls. Has anyone seen pictures of the main line railway that was close to the back of Southalls. I think there may also have been a pet shop close by that sold Tortoises.
Best wishes
Gerald.

townie

« Reply #607 on: November 09, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »

Just for you Gerald. Keep mowing them meadows.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #608 on: November 09, 2016, 08:25:20 PM »
The pub across the road from Southalls would have been the Brookhill Tavern, what year are you talking about. I might be able to find a pet shop that sold tortoises. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

GardenGerald

« Reply #609 on: November 09, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »
Hello Phil
Great picture. You, Roy and Townie very often come up with the goods. The Pet Shop would have been mid sixties. Last place I saw a tortoise
before the ban on imports came into place. Now a tortoise will cost you a lot of money because you have to buy from a licensed breeder and get a certificate yourself.
Best wishes
Gerald.

townie

« Reply #610 on: November 09, 2016, 10:44:11 PM »

Thought I might just add another for you Gerald as your on about Southalls.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Steve

« Reply #611 on: November 10, 2016, 10:22:52 AM »
Hello Phil
Great picture. You, Roy and Townie very often come up with the goods. The Pet Shop would have been mid sixties. Last place I saw a tortoise
before the ban on imports came into place. Now a tortoise will cost you a lot of money because you have to buy from a licensed breeder and get a certificate yourself.
Best wishes
Gerald.
There was a pet shop close by the Brookhill, just 3 or 4 doors down from the pub across from Southall's. I recall the Mrs wanting to go in every time we were going past just to see the little furry animals they had.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #612 on: November 10, 2016, 10:38:40 AM »
Steve,

I don't suppose you can remember the name of the shop or the year can you? As the only pet shop I can find a record of throughout the 60's was at 765 Alum Rock rd and that was opposite The Capitol Cinema.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #613 on: November 10, 2016, 10:41:15 AM »
Soot Phil. I don't recall the name of the shop. It was most likely between '69 and '76.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #614 on: November 10, 2016, 11:10:53 AM »
No, I still can't find any record of it, which either means it was never recorded as a pet shop in Kelly's Directories and it was in the owners name only, or it wasn't established there long enough to be recorded.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

GardenGerald

« Reply #615 on: November 10, 2016, 05:48:16 PM »
Phil
Would it be possible to check 1958 to 1966 for the pet shop please.
I have got numerous books on Steam trains, 3 of them have a picture of a steam train and a tall chimney in the background telling me it is a suburb of Birmingham. It has a look about it like the back of Southalls. Anyone know what I am talking about.
Phil and Townie please keep the pictures coming.
Best wishes
Gerald.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy