Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329167 times)

MWS

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #616 on: November 10, 2016, 11:39:54 PM »
There was a pet shop opposite Southalls, virtually on the corner of Alum Rock Road and Brook Hill Road, called Jaws & Claws. This was late 70s onwards, I don't how long it was there before then.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #617 on: November 10, 2016, 11:43:34 PM »
I can only go back to 1974 and before, it certainly wasn't there before that date. Well if it was it's not recorded in the Directories.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #618 on: November 11, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »
There was a pet shop opposite Southalls, virtually on the corner of Alum Rock Road and Brook Hill Road, called Jaws & Claws. This was late 70s onwards, I don't how long it was there before then.
Thanks MWS, you jogged my memory, and what you say is correct. I moved out of Brum in '76 for a couple of years and it had gone when we returned.
 The shop could not have survived for long or Phil would have found it.
 (I'm glad in a way because the Mrs never stopped banging on about buying a pair of Chinchillas.)
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

planetmalc

« Reply #619 on: November 11, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »
There was a pet shop opposite Southalls, virtually on the corner of Alum Rock Road and Brook Hill Road, called Jaws & Claws.

;D ;D ;D        Kings Heath used to have a 'Moggies & Doggies'!
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

GardenGerald

« Reply #620 on: November 11, 2016, 08:53:14 PM »
Evening All
It was Jaws and Claws, Its the dates we have got wrong, must be because some of us are over 21.
Anyone thought about my railway line question.
Best wishes
Gerald

Steve

« Reply #621 on: November 12, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »
Phil
Would it be possible to check 1958 to 1966 for the pet shop please.
I have got numerous books on Steam trains, 3 of them have a picture of a steam train and a tall chimney in the background telling me it is a suburb of Birmingham. It has a look about it like the back of Southalls. Anyone know what I am talking about.
Phil and Townie please keep the pictures coming.
Best wishes
Gerald.
'A suburb of Birmingham' ? - Southalls was definitely urban so would not be at back of there. Perhaps it you put pic up our guys may sort out where it may be.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

baznkazthebrummies

« Reply #622 on: November 14, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »
I used to live on brookhill rd and recall the pet shop as jaws and claws in thelate 70s early 80s before it became a pet shop it used to be a co-op store. love the photo of southhalls as most of my family worked there at one time or another and the brookhill pub used to be my local
COMMON SENSE IS NOT THAT COMMON

Paul33

« Reply #623 on: February 15, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »
My father attended Anthony Road Primary school from about 1938 onwards. Does anybody have any photos (other than what are on the Shaw Hill School's website) and does anybody know anything about air-raid damage c.1940 and the extent of that damage ?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #624 on: February 17, 2017, 11:31:20 PM »
Does anyone remember the swimming baths just of the bottom of Alum Rock Rd by the Rock picture house Edmund
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Greengrass

« Reply #625 on: February 18, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
Just up from the Brookhill tavern was the Pelham island where Belchers lane crossed Alum Rock road.  Does anyone remember the motorcycle dealers just up on the right hand side in Belchers lane?  It was called  'Rays Motorcycle Depot '  . It was owned by Ray Hawkesford.  He used to make the  'Hawkon ' sidecar.  In the 1960's I used to road race a racing outfit he built for me. In return I used to work for him part time at his workshop in Shaw hill road.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #626 on: February 18, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
Does anyone remember the swimming baths just of the bottom of Alum Rock Rd by the Rock picture house Edmund

Edmund,

The only swimming baths I remember in Saltley were the ones in George Arthur Road near the top end and St Saviours Rd  and the swimming baths ran through to Norton public washing baths on Adderley Rd. The swimming baths sometimes doubled up as a dance hall when the pool was covered over.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy