Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329178 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #649 on: July 10, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
My best friend Barry lived in that road he went to Bloomsbury St school between 44-49 I then left to go to a school at Lea Village
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Daisy1

« Reply #650 on: July 10, 2018, 04:16:00 PM »
Do you know his surname Edmund.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #651 on: July 10, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »
Sorry Daisy but the old memories a bit faded,but lived up close to the baths,think his name was Freeman not sure wore glasses round faced

Daisy1

« Reply #652 on: July 10, 2018, 05:43:29 PM »
The only names Rob and I can remember from up by the baths are Barbara Harrison and Jonny Carter, they lived opposite the baths, next to the baths was Shirley Green who emigrated to Australia when she married in 1963, and Kenny Ludlow who lived near the church and Sylvia Bird who lived opposite the church.
Then there was the Henderson’s, and the Morris’s and the Sadley’s.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #653 on: July 10, 2018, 06:12:25 PM »
Daisy,never knew anyone but Barry ,he lived from what I can remember about 6 hoses just before the baths on the right hand side.Ivin g. in Vauxhall I only got to play with him at holiday time and we would go to the baths together and borrow the blue triangular tie up swimming costumes.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #654 on: July 10, 2018, 10:27:39 PM »
Hi Phil,
nice to meet you, i realised there was another earlier pub, my memories of the Olive was of that building, i had many happy nights in there :).
Tescos was owned by a Pakistani man before Tescos, i worked there when it closed, the reason being they wanted to double the rent, because the lease was up.
I had many friends there, and i meet my wife also there.

Tony.
Hi Tony

I don't think we have spoke before, so hello and welcome from me, If you look at the original images in the post that is mentioned you will see a photo of the original pub that was there before the one that stands there now was built on the spot. I would imagine the reason it stands back from the road is because they built the new pub behind the old one before demolishing the old one.

As for Tesco's that you mention in your other post, I don't think it was Tesco's when it first opened (though I may be wrong), this is what I commented about the store when I first mentioned it.

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1513.msg313871#msg313871

Daisy1

« Reply #655 on: July 11, 2018, 12:46:07 AM »
I have been in touch with Ernie Bagley whose parents owned and lived at the general store on the corner of Alum Rock Rd and George Arthur Rd, he said his parents sold out to Tesco in the early sixties.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #656 on: July 11, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »
I have been in touch with Ernie Bagley whose parents owned and lived at the general store on the corner of Alum Rock Rd and George Arthur Rd, he said his parents sold out to Tesco in the early sixties.
Hello Daisy  :) ,
It was a while ago,(30 yrs +) but i seem to remember it was a asian who owned it, the land. We were told he wanted to double the rent, thats why we closed.  Does Ernie know anything about why it closed?.
Where did Ernies parents live? was Tescos a new building when Tesco got it?

Regards

Tony.

Daisy1

« Reply #657 on: July 11, 2018, 09:20:07 PM »
Tony, Bagley’s definitely sold out to Tesco early sixties, they then went to live in Smethwick, Ernie now lives in Coventry.

Daisy1

« Reply #658 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »
I will contact Ernie tomorrow, but last time I asked him he was adamant his mom and dad sold out to Tesco,  and then I think Kwiksave took it over.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #659 on: July 11, 2018, 09:49:48 PM »
I will contact Ernie tomorrow, but last time I asked him he was adamant his mom and dad sold out to Tesco,  and then I think Kwiksave took it over.
Daisy,  :)
Kwiksave was further down the road towards the gate, i went to work there when Tescos closed. I understand that Ernies dad sold to Tescos, i just wondered who held the lease?, we were told an Asian guy held it, after it closed it was turned into Michaels Supermarket, you may know that Michaels was an Asia family.

Regards

Tony.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy