Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 330408 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 09:46:01 PM »
Hello Daisy1

Welcome to the forum, its nice when old friends and neighbours meet up on here. Is this photo of George Arthur Rd too early for you. As I have got to be honest I don't remember it. The photo was taken in 1900 but I don't know when the old police station was demolished.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Daisy1

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »
Hello Phil,

I don't know how to take that, honestly I'm not that old ;)  joking apart, my husband seems to think that maybe the swimming baths were built on the site of the police station.

Regards Daisy

SADDLEBAG

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »
Daisy1,
Correct, I was Roberts next door neighbour. I would think he remembers another close neighbour Dave Henderson who I still quite often.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 10:26:10 PM »
Daisy

I think your husband could be quite right as it was on the same side of the road and although it was still standing in 1903 it was gone in 1913 a long time before the baths were built.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

SADDLEBAG

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
Daisy, Phil,
The swimming baths was built on the old police station site, I have a map of Saltley dated 1902 which shows the station right opposite Jersey Road, the exact position of the baths.

SADDLEBAG

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 11:57:07 PM »
Daisy1     Sorry my post should have read - Dave Henderson who I still see quite often.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 09:45:53 AM »
saddlebag

Thanks for that info, here are a few more photos this time further down the road in the area around Saltley High Street.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Shirley

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 09:54:35 PM »
Hi Daisy,

I lived at 100 next door to Brian, Errol, Blossom who sadley died in the late 1950's the dad Lance and the mum Daisy Violet. Brian used to call me "Mike the Bike" and my brother Peter "Piccalo Pete" i would love to see him again !! i bet Errol and his wife Wendy have retired from teaching?
We grew up together in good old Ralph Road!! When you next speak to Brian tell him my Nan passed away in 1982. Please ask him to get in touch would love to make contact again with him he was my "mentor" in the early days he taught me all there was to know about Capital Cities around the world!!
Brian always had a great collection of the latest records we would sit for hours listening to them on his Dancet Record Player "Happy Days"

Best Wishes

Mike the bike Shirley ;D

Shirley

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 10:17:47 PM »
Hi Saddlebag,

I lived in Ralph Road from 1953 to 1973 i can remeber most of the shops from top to bottom looking up Alum Rock Road from the "Gate" on the right was the Tilt Hammer Pub, on the left was the Tote Cinema which became the Jigsaw Club, on the right was Oldacres ironmongers (went to school with the daughter Jackie) on the left was the Rock cinema, on the right was the village pub, on one corner of Ralph Road you had sellers general store on the other corner was alenways tv shop. Across the road you got adkins bakery, groves toy shop, across the road from that you had the farmers wife general stores, back on the left hand side was old Mrs Brookes sweet shop, across the road was Lilians Wool shop. A bit further on facing Hollands fruit and veg shop was the first ever supermarket on the Rock Victor Value, on the same side past the curch was Carrs sports shop on the other side was the Co-Op chain of shops. Going back to the left hand side was Braggs then there was woolies acroos the road next to Boots, on the corner of Bowyer Road you have got Sweeneys tv shop and the other side the Rock Pub
Just up Bowyer Road you have got the 2 dentists Rowbottom who "Gassed himself" in the dentist chair Ha Ha and next dorr was Warwick Dentist
Hope i have been of some help to you, if you need any more help give us a shout

Mike Shirley

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »
Saddlebag & Daisy

Another landmark from George Arthur Rd, I believe this one still stands today, although it may have a different name or nomination. Its the George Arthur Rd Baptist Church.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

SADDLEBAG

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »
Phil
Thanks for the latest photo's, the one of the No8 bus in Adderley Road brings back vivid memories - as a young lad just after the war very Sunday morning my brother and I would catch the No8 bus there to Park Lane  Aston,and then walk up Upper Sutton Street to Victoria Road to visit my Gran.
It was also the place where I caught the 'Football Special' to Villa Park.
The photo of Saltley Baptist Church brings back many memories, as a Cub and Scout I walked through these church doors dozens if not hundreds of time.
Happy memories - thanks

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy