Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329158 times)

SADDLEBAG

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2009, 07:13:41 PM »
Hi Lindyloo
I read with interest your schooldays at Amberley, I thought I knew most of the Alum Rock/Washwood Heath area but I must admit I had never heard of Amberley until this forum. I'm afraid my education was at St. Saviour's Infants and Leigh Road SM.
With all the excellent shops in the 'Rock' during the 40's and 50's by far the one I most frequented was Oldacres, dad and myself were always tinkering around which generally required a trip to Oldacres for such items from nails or screws to sand and cement, we even had our tiled fire place from there.I recall one very striking lady that worked there, she had black hair, brown eyes and always wore an immaculate white coat, this was during the 50's so I assume she was either your mother or aunty.
I'm interested in any photos of shops in the Rock, particularly  shops between the 'Gate' and Bowyer Road, like you I would love one of Oldacres (happy memories). In the meantime I will continue my search. Phil(47) as done a great job supplying photos, perhaps there are others out there with similar collections.

Regards Saddlebag

Steve

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2009, 07:24:28 PM »
Hi Saddlebag, and welcome to the Forum.
  I began my schooldays at St Saviours in 1950. Then Arden Rd Juniors, then Leigh Rd. I remember Mr Rothera the Head.
  My favourite was Mr Brown from USA. He'd make us laugh by wiggling his ears. One day it started to snow, he stopped talking and stood open mouthed staring out of the window. he'd never seen actual real snow in his life, I think he was in his late 30's.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Lindyloo

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »
Hi Mike,

I will see what I can do the photo  it is about 18" x 7 might have to do it in a few parts.

Do you or any of your family know a Joyce King apparently she used to work at Braggs her family were something to do with a furniture removal firm.

Jackie

Hmughal

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2009, 03:18:21 AM »
wow i've just joined this forum and i currently live in Alum rock, it's a far cry to what it used to be.
I live on college road turning right from st saviours rd. i was wondering what that area used to look like. Also, the college (st peters) what was it used for back-in-the-day?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2009, 11:47:01 AM »
Hi Hmughal

Welcome to our little forum, yes Alum Rock has changed over the years. As far as I am aware Saltley College (St Peters) was built as a college and has always been used for that purpose.

I understand that the meaning of Saltley is "clearing in a wood" Back in the day  as you put it and before then some very important people lived in some rather large houses in the area.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Hmughal

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2009, 01:33:39 PM »
How old is this photo? My sister owns a house near where that rather posh looking woman is seen in the picture, this photo is taken from st savious rd right? I would've thought my sisters house was at least 70-80 years old. The college hasn't changed much, no actually the wall on the left has been changed...still looks beautiful. Important people, what do you mean?

Hmughal

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2009, 01:43:21 PM »
Hi phil47, could you tell me the locations of photos 1,2 and 3, (pg 2) i cant figure them out...the rest are pretty obvious.

Lindyloo

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2009, 10:24:26 PM »
Hi Saddlebag,

The lady you are talking about is in fact my Aunt when I read your comments out to her she really was quite pleased. As a child I used to go to the shop a lot and my Grandfather used to take me to school each day and as a treat on a Saturday go to the Rock Cinema.
Regards,
Lindyloo

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2009, 10:46:26 PM »
Hi Hmughal

One of the important people I mentioned would be William Hutton who wrote the book A history of Birmingham in the late 1700's. You should get a copy and read it. He lived just off the Washwood Heath Rd near to Arley Rd.

I don't know how old the photo of the college is but I would say c 1900 - 1910. The other photos if you can give me the reply No (its at the top of the post) then I might be able to help.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Woodbine

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2009, 05:41:17 AM »
Hi Mike,

I will see what I can do the photo  it is about 18" x 7 might have to do it in a few parts.

Do you or any of your family know a Joyce King apparently she used to work at Braggs her family were something to do with a furniture removal firm.

Jackie

Hi LindyLoo

King's Removal company was on the corner of College Road and Bridge Road - not far from the Rosary.  I lived in Bowyer Road from 1959 to 1965 when I booked King's to move us out.

YARDKID

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2009, 01:10:27 PM »
The derelict Leyland Cars Sports & Social Club.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy