Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329165 times)

peter brummy

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2010, 11:08:20 PM »
A very interesting and well written story, Woodbine .... You traveled a long way to deliver the milk .... and the horses traveled some distance too.

Shame about Prince, he was unlucky as were all the other Princes. You didn't end up a milk man did you? I very much doubt so, as you write so well and your punctuation is spot on and a pleasure to read.

You could be a retired English teacher or someone who used the pen for a living ...?   

P B

Judd

« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2010, 11:30:35 PM »
Oh wow, thankyou so much for the pictures and info. I really appreciate it. I've been showing my dad things have been said and shown him some pictures, i'm sure he's been doing some reminiscing.
Woodbine the young boy in the second picture is my dad yes David, and the man to the right of him is my grandad. Thankyou for showing me though, i've seen the photo once before when i was much younger (i believe it's in a book, but i'm not sure what it is, maybe the book mentioned) its really nice to see it again. My grandad's name wasn't Alan it was definately Albert, so they have it wrong, typical. I never knew about the radio interview he did but my dad says he remembers it or knowing about it. Would be amazing to listen to it. Steve i don't know what my grandad's route was, i wouldn't have a clue but my dad would know, i shall ask him.

SADDLEBAG

« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2010, 02:05:42 PM »
What an interesting site this is. Perhaps someone can help me?
For some time now I have been trying to write a book about my time living around the 'Gate' Saltley, during the period from 1939-1965. The sole purpose of the book is purely to give my grandchildren an insight into what life was like growing up in an inner City area during and after the war.
     My schooldays obviously feature prominently in the book, particularly my junior school which was St. Saviour's Church of England School, in Alum Rock Road (next to the old 'Rock' picture house. There is still a school on this site today but I'm afraid it is not the old Victorian building I attended. I would like to include a picture of the old school in the book but so far my search for any photos has failed.
     With the aid of a little architectural research on Victorian school buildings around the local area, my hazy memory and limited artistic ability, I have put together a painting of how I envisaged the school looked.
     I welcome any comments particularly the accuracy of the painting, also if anyone has photos (inside or outside) I would love to see them.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »
Saddlebag

What a marvellous painting, I'm only sorry I can't help you with any photos of the school, although I do remember it well. I will however keep an eye open for anything that may help.

Here are a few more photos of the area that I do not think I have posted before. If there is anything you want to know about them ask and if I know the answer I will let you have it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2010, 07:10:15 PM »
Saddlebag, Welcome Mate, that's a nice piece of artwork, I see you remembered the tram lines, and the metal studs delineating the crossing. Well done I say.

Phil, Your first photo, if I'm not mistaken that's the old Pelham Arms in the background which I frequented when I lived in Winslow Avenue off Bankdale Rd which is first right after the Pelham.
                                                   Steve

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »
Steve,

Yes that is the Pelham you can see on the photo, if you lived in the area perhaps you can put me right on this photo. Its an old photo that purports to be Pelham Rd, only I can't remember a road off to the left off Pelham Rd there was Essington Rd but that was to the right.

Do you think the photo has been flipped over the years as it is an old photo,

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

peter brummy

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »
You're right Steve, it's the old Pelham Arms with Sladefield Rd to the left. It links the Washwood Heath Rd, and across the other side to St Margarets Rd and on to Bromford Lane ....

Sladefield Rd also has the entrance to the back or side gate to Ward End Park.

If you continue on the Alum Rock Rd, past the Pelham Arms, you come to the Capitol Picture House, and further on The Ward End pub .... The Alum Rock Rd eventually joins the Washwood Heath Rd, meeting Bromford Lane, Stechford Lane, and Coleshill Rd at the old Beaufort Cinema and the Fox and Goose ....

SENSIBLE

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2010, 08:50:50 PM »
Brilliant photographs and information on here.  O0

Brings back memories of when I lived in Washwood Heath and Alum Rock in my childhood.  :)

Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

jaykay

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2010, 06:23:41 AM »
Phil, I think you'll find it's taken from the junction with Cotterills Lane.

teegee

« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2010, 09:55:14 AM »
Steve,

Yes that is the Pelham you can see on the photo, if you lived in the area perhaps you can put me right on this photo. Its an old photo that purports to be Pelham Rd, only I can't remember a road off to the left off Pelham Rd there was Essington Rd but that was to the right.

Do you think the photo has been flipped over the years as it is an old photo,

Phil

Phil
I dont think that is Pelham Rd. If you look on streetview you have an Essendon Rd (not Essington) off to the right but it does'nt seem to match up with your picture anyway even if it was flipped over.

T.

jaykay

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
teegee,see my previous post , the photo is taken from Cotterills Lane.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy