Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329248 times)

teegee

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2010, 10:13:02 AM »
teegee,see my previous post , the photo is taken from Cotterills Lane.

I see now jaykay.  Its the junction of Cotterills Lane/Pelham Rd. The amount of times I've passed there as well.

T.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »
teegee & John

This is why I was asking, it didn't look right to me even allowing for its age. You really would be surprised just how many old photos are out there. It really is a disgrace considering how much money is being made from some of these old photos.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Phil, I need not make any comment, our pals have said it all. Cheers chaps.           Steve
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

SADDLEBAG

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2010, 12:05:43 PM »
Phil & Steve,
   Thanks for our comments and photo's. The one of the Pelham brings back memories when every Saturday morning I would travel there from the 'Gate' on the tram with my Mother, who always bought her grocery (plus ration coupons) from Wrenson's. Which was on the corner of Alum Rock Road and Sladefield Road, which on your photo is behind the forked tree (to the left of the lorry)
   It's the first time I have seen this particular photo of Nechells Place, can anyone recall the name of the tall factory on the left?
    The photo of St. Saviour's Church is also new to me, with my junior school (St. Saviour's) having a strong connection with this church, I recall every Thursday morning the whole school would march there for the weekly service.
   Harping back to St. Saviour's School I am quite surprised how difficult it is to locate any photo's. I have written to the new school build on the existing site, and the Birmingham Diocese that oversee Birmingham's Cof E School's, sadly neither have replied. I have also searched the archives at the Central Library.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2010, 12:38:25 PM »
Saddlebag

You would be surprised just what is out there in the way of photographs, somewhere somebody has got an old school photograph with the school as the background. One day that person will read this thread and think I've got a photograph of that school in the attic and will post it here.

As for the large building in the background of Nechells Place it is the old Vale of Evesham Brewery on Cato St North. I worked in that building in the 60's when it was something to do with Pram manufacturing. I can well remember climbing the wooden stairs to the top floor quite a climb.

I'm adding a photo from my collection and one I took a couple of years back myself.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2010, 01:26:26 PM »
http://www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk/leasearch.php?lea=Birmingham  Hi saddlebag here is a link to the schools directory St Saviours is listed as a RC school not sure if its the same school , no photo . There is a phone number you never know if they have a pic in the archives . Bernie

SADDLEBAG

« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »
Phil,
 Thanks for the info.
Perhaps you have seen the painting below (not mine I'm sorry to say),
it shows the bus leaving the 'Gate' via Saltley Viaduct (around 1956),
to the left on the sky-line are the houses in Phillimore Road (off WasHwood Heath Rd). The building on the sky-line to the immediate right of the bus can only be the 'Rock' picture house? (although I can't recall it being that dominant).
The road off to the right is Crawford Street, with the 'London Tavern' pub on the corner.

pudding

« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2010, 02:51:08 PM »
Phil, there is a pic of the rock cinema I have seen someware and you can just see the roof of the school on the left of the building
Where there is a will there is a way

Steve

« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »
Phil,
 Thanks for the info.
Perhaps you have seen the painting below (not mine I'm sorry to say),
it shows the bus leaving the 'Gate' via Saltley Viaduct (around 1956),
to the left on the sky-line are the houses in Phillimore Road (off WasHwood Heath Rd). The building on the sky-line to the immediate right of the bus can only be the 'Rock' picture house? (although I can't recall it being that dominant).
The road off to the right is Crawford Street, with the 'London Tavern' pub on the corner.
  I think the road on the right is Crawford St, that being so, the pub on the corner is indeed the "London Tavern". The bus is just entering the Saltley Viaduct, going towards Nechells Place.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

SADDLEBAG

« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2010, 03:20:48 PM »
PUDDING,
 Is this the picture you had in mind?

pudding

« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »
saddlebag, yes that's the one! and may I say that's a great piece of art work of the school 8) thank you  good luck with your book O0
Where there is a will there is a way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy