Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329201 times)

pudding

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #275 on: March 07, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »
Hi Phil and all, I have found a photo take at the bottom end of the Alum Rock showing the shop on the corner of George Arthur road, it is Tesco's (at the time it taken early 70's) there is a pub on the opposite corner an Ansells pub, sorry don't know the name if it.
Where there is a will there is a way

Daisy1

« Reply #276 on: March 07, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »
Hello Pudding,

The name of the pub was The Village Inn.

Regards daisy1 (Rita)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2013, 05:48:40 PM »
pudding

From what I have read here I'm coming to the conclusion that it was owned by Tesco from the start. I just remember it as the first supermarket that we ever used.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #278 on: March 07, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
Nice photo, bet that woman don't shop down the rock now.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

gibson

« Reply #279 on: March 07, 2013, 06:34:40 PM »
 Phil        It was in 1957, that I did my shopping in the first
supermarket that I had ever known, corner of George Arthur Road/Alum Rock Road,  and because of the strong smell of spices, which was still a new smell to our Brummie nostrils, I assumed it was owned by Asians,   Groceries were carried home in thick brown paper bags, with no handles,  It wasnt too bad for me if it rained, We only lived around the corner in Cranby Street, plus I could run in those days.  ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #280 on: March 07, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »
Gibson

The time frame is right, but as I have said I don't remember the name. You could be right but I can't remember many Asians shops on Alum Rock rd at that time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Daisy1

« Reply #281 on: March 07, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
Mr and Mrs Bagley didn't sell their shop on the corner of George Arthur Rd to Tesco's until about 1960/61, I don't remember any Asian shops being there, only one West Indian shop opposite the Rock cinema.

Daisy

fran

« Reply #282 on: March 08, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »
I lived in alum rock from a baby in the 60's right through the 70's and into the early 80's As I recall the shop by the tilt was tesco and later became kwik save. There was also a shop half way up called George masons and on the corner of alum rock road and gowen road there was a shop called jesters. However everyone has mentioned st peters college which was built as a boys school and later allowed girls to attend and in later years became a teacher training college also George Arthur baths but no one has mentioned Norton hall.  :D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »
Hi Fran,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure that if you mean Norton House reformatory Fordrough Lane it has has a mention or two on here somewhere. Try using the search engine at the top right of the page, If not here is a photo before it was replaced by the GPO stores.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Daisy1

« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »
Hi Phil,,

I think Fran is talking about Norton Hall in Ralph Road, it was an extension of St Saviours school, I remember having singing lessons there with a Mrs Gill.

daisy (Rita)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
Daisy

Then I'm afraid I know precious little about the place only what can be looked up and researched now and unfortunately no photos at all. What was it's original use?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy