Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 330425 times)

SADDLEBAG

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #374 on: May 10, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »
Phil, thanks for your method, will try it next time.

penny

« Reply #375 on: May 15, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
I remember Copes the newsagents my husbands sister married their son .I lived in Coleshill Terrace opposite up the side of the bakery 

elaine adams

« Reply #376 on: May 22, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »
Hi Penny,
Nice to know someone else remembers Copes; with a family connection too. Perhaps if you see your brother in law, (you dont say if he is still with us) you might ask if he remembers Sonia JOnes. I think he might have been sweet on her at one time, but she married Ray Williams from Crawford Street. (Now both dead). They had a cafe on Adderley Road and Ray started the Adderley Road Football Team. I have some team  photos from 1962/63 I will post them if any one is interested in seeing them.
Welcome to the site.
Regards
Elaine

Laurene Goodbody

« Reply #377 on: May 26, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
Hi, in relation to the Bonanza Cafe, does anyone remember the Greek fellas full name? I think his first name was Chris, I know a lady who worked for him back in 1970, her name was Mary O'Leary, she was from Cork in Ireland. Wasn't there a restaurant called the Shish Kebab next door run by two Turkish men?

Bakers boy

« Reply #378 on: May 28, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
Hi there , I have just discovered this site.
I was born above the bakers shop next to the car dealer. My Dad was Joe Barnes the baker. The shop was opposite Copes the newsagent. During the war we went down the cellar during air raids and often shared cellars with Arthur Wallis the green grocer on the corner of Gate St.

My Dad was a big friend of Potter the Butcher in Alum Rock.

I helped to deliver bread all around Nechells, Aston, Duddeston and Ward end.

The bombers during the war were targetting the "Met" by the viaduct and I think bombs got as near as Crawford St and Hereford Sq.

Next door to us was Chaplins shop which started as a fishing Tackle shop but got much bigger after the war selling war surplus goods

We moved out after the war but Dad kept the shop until the 60's

vauxonion

« Reply #379 on: May 29, 2013, 05:22:49 PM »
Next door to us was Chaplins shop which started as a fishing Tackle shop but got much bigger after the war selling war surplus goods

Bakersboy

I remember Chapmans we used to get our maggots and fishing tackle from there  they later moved up by the Ward End Pub. Dek

penny

« Reply #380 on: May 29, 2013, 05:27:22 PM »
Hi Elaine ,sorry to say Maurice is no longer with us but his wife Margaret is well and they have two children ,do you remember his sister Pamela ?

Wendy75

« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Hello
I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me please.. My dear Dad will be celebrating his 70th birthday this year and I am gathering lots of old photographs from his childhood (this forum has been fantastic, thank you)
I know it's a long shot but I was wondering if anyone recognises his name or any of his family. here goes.....
His name is Bill Moore (William).  He was born in 1943 and lived in  7/28 Cranby Street and  2/41  Crawford Street with his parents Harold & Catherine Moore and his brother's and sisters; Constance Moore (Con), David Moore Dave) and Valerie Moore (Val).  He also attended St Saviours and Leigh Road School.
Many thanks for your time x

elaine adams

« Reply #382 on: June 15, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »
Hi Penny,
No I am sorry to say I don't remember Pamela.
We were only in Lowans Hill Terrace until 1963, it was compulsory purchased by the Council and we were then moved out to Herrick Road, and Lowans Hill was knocked down and they built that garage there.
Not only that but I spent a lot of time with my older sister who was married and had 2 kids by then.
How I wish I could remember more! Sorry.
Regards
Elaine

June

« Reply #383 on: July 03, 2013, 02:55:07 PM »
Hi I am new to this site just found it looking for Nutts Sewing Machines (found then), I used to live in Highfield Road next to what they called the "bombed building" now part of the school.  When I was just about 5 moved to Reginald Road, this site brings back a lot of memories.  I went to St. Saviours, then Rolf Street and finally for a short time at Nansen Road.

Can anyone tell me about Rolf Street School - we were told it was a fire station/ and then a mental health hospital.  Very funny layout for a school, and it even had shelters in the playground.  You were not supposed to go in but you did.  And you had to "walk the bridge" to get into the school.  So exciting when you were a child
June

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #384 on: July 03, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
Hi June

Welcome to you, I'd like to try to help you but you lost me with Rolf St, the only Rolfe St I know of is in Smethwick miles away from Alum Rock.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy