Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329233 times)

Shirley

Alum Rock Saltley
« on: May 16, 2008, 08:59:25 PM »
Has anyone got any pictures of Alum Rock Saltley Ralph Road or the gate saltley i lived there bewteen 1950
and 1980 does anyone remeber Albert Judd the Milkman or got memories of nansen Road Junior School 1958 to 1962 or any memories of the Morris Commercial Factory and Club

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:25:10 PM »
Hello Shirley

Welcome to the site, I lived down the road from you in Nechells for part of my younger life.

I've sorted these couple of photo's of the Gate and nearby area for you.  I'll have a look and see what else I can find.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

chrisy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:57:55 PM »
 HI SHIRLEY LIVED IN RALPH ROAD, WORKED AT MORRIS COMMERCIAL IN THE PRODUCTION CONTROL OFFICE. OFTEN WENT TO THE MCC CLUB, NOT THERE NOW BEEN PULLED DOWN  REGARDS CHRISY :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:14:57 PM »
Hi chrisy

Welcome to the forum, unfortunately Shirley has not been back since her original post, but don't let that put you off. If she comes back on and sees your message it may encourage her to further postings.

In the meantime join in with the chit chat, I'm sure you will find someone with similar interests to yourself.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sueb

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 12:28:14 PM »
Phil, I always thought Saltley Gate was the entrance to a large factory where there was a strike or something?!  I'm so shocked that it was actually a pub - is it still there?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 01:44:47 PM »
Sueb

You might know if you ask me a question like that, you are going to get a history lesson.  The reason you probably associate the Gate with a factory gate is because of the Battle of Saltley Gate ( in reality Saltley Place  outside the  Gasworks) in the 70’s when the NUM and “that woman’s” troops ( the police ) fought a battle for over the issue of coke being supplied to the power stations. We all know the outcome, so the less said the better.

The Gate at Saltley was in fact a public house which occupied the same spot from the middle 1800’s until recently. It was probably named for the Coleshill Turnpike ( Washwood Heath Rd ) of which the toll gate was situated just a little way down the road we know now  as Saltley Road.

I think it has now been demolished, along with another little part of our history.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bannion

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 02:40:24 PM »
Phil,
Back again.  Think you are wrong about 'that woman's troops' for as I recall it was Ted Heath who was P.M. at the time.   The miners closed the station down when the police would not ensure safety, in allowing the coke to go in.
Ted Heath called an election shortly afterwards and lost to Labour.
Labour then came to an arrangement with the miners.
My nephew was a bobby on the picket line there and prior had felt sympathy for the miners.  He came off the line with a turn about view.

sueb

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »
Phil, so was there a village called Saltley, or was it part of Birmingham?  The battle of Saltley Gate was only recent and already it's not known about by lots of people, including me - or at least only muddled knowledge.  The history lessons are very interesting anyway, keep giving them Phil!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 03:45:44 PM »
Bannion

Glad you are back, I hope you are fine and all went well.  

Yes you are right it was Ted Heath. The trouble is when you get to my age all the hate blends into one. In the long run it doesent make any difference who it was they were both branches from the same tree. They both didn't give a fig for people they perceived to be working class.

I got my seventies and eighties mixed up, thank you for pointing it out. I really must keep my nose out of modern history, but I just couldn't resist having a go at her.

I also apologise to sueb, for putting her on the wrong track, but I suspect that she is not really interested in that side of things anyway.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bannion

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »
 Thanks for the good wishes Phil,
I know it all blends into one as the time passes.  I only recall it was Ted Heath, for the power cuts we had to endure at that time and he being the leader then.

As a side line to the story my wife was a chemist at those works and part of her work involved her going to various measuring devices at places around the city centre to take readings of how much pollutants were in the air.
Always made it an excuse to meet up for a coffee in the Kardomah - all in works time.   ;)

sueb

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »
Phil, I think most politicians are only out for themselves and I don't believe any of them do it for altruistic reasons, just power and money.  I remember 'that woman' coming to our school for speech day.  It was the time when she must have been the Education Minister? and was stopping free school milk.  We had loads of students from all around who came and demonstrated outside our school, climbing up the lamp posts and chanting 'Maggie Thatcher, milk snatcher'.  The press were there as well.  We, of course, were delighted because none of us (we were in the 6th form then and becoming politically aware) wanted her at our school.  I remember at the end of her speech hardly any of us girls clapped - the head teacher was not amused!!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy