Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329198 times)

howky

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #506 on: August 03, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
does anybody remember pedleys the newsagent and watkins the greengrocer on adderley road

Bakers boy

« Reply #507 on: August 04, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »
I remember the paper shop next to the No 8 bus stop on Adderly Rd. opposite the Tilt Hammer pub. I can't remember their name. There was a greengrocer called Baily very near to it in the 1940,s but it may have changed Hands. The driveway near these shops went down to our bakehouse and the backs of the shops in High st. Chaplins, Bentley the Taylor  etc.

The bus drivers and 'inspectors' used to walk down the driveway to get hot bread rolls at the Bakehouse. This about late 40's early 50's.

Steve

« Reply #508 on: August 04, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »
does anybody remember pedleys the newsagent and watkins the greengrocer on adderley road
I do, remember the strong pong in Watkins's Shop?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

howky

« Reply #509 on: August 05, 2014, 06:20:48 PM »
the greengrocer baily by the number 8 bus terminus was my auntie liz

Daisy1

« Reply #510 on: August 05, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »
Also by the number eight terminus was a cafe run by Mr and Mrs Brittain, they had three children, Susan, Carol and Michael. My mother in law used to work for them in the cafe. There was also a barbers where my husband used to get his hair cut.

Robgriff

« Reply #511 on: August 06, 2014, 08:25:40 PM »
Hi, I know this an old post but I had to reply. There is a picture on page 10 of a factory building. I think Phil said he worked there and was talking about a school behind it.
 My Grandmother and family also used to live in this area, and by pure coincidence i now work in the area.
Would the school behind the factory be Adderley Primary School?
It's the old Victorian building on the corner of Adderley and Arden road!
If so, I have a picture of my great uncle and his class standing outside the school. My Great Grandparents owned either a sweet shop or paper shop on Adderley road, which I believe is not longer there.
I came across this site by looking for information or photos of George Arthur road baths. My grandmother was recently telling me my grandfather used to dance there.
Kim

howky

« Reply #512 on: August 16, 2014, 01:27:57 PM »
did anybody go to shaw hill school in the 1960s

howky

« Reply #513 on: August 16, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
mrs watkins shop was on the corner of hams road and pedleys newsagent was by the olive branch pub in adderley road

townie

« Reply #514 on: August 16, 2014, 04:43:43 PM »
howky Just wondering where about on Adderley road was the Olive branch pub? 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

howky

« Reply #515 on: August 16, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »
the olive branch pub was between ash road and hams road on the corner of ash road was the adderley park inn better known as the three a,s because it sold astons ansells ales

kejambu

« Reply #516 on: August 18, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »
I think it was Dennis who had the fruit and veg shop on Jersey Road. Len used to run the corner grocery shop. We lived two doors down from Lens on Reginald Road. I remenber him painting the sidewall of his shop with product advertisements.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy