Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 330421 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #594 on: November 07, 2016, 09:59:34 PM »
iv had to cut the size of the photo for now  this is how I think it may have looked in its day  iv give it a bit of colour
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Steve

« Reply #595 on: November 08, 2016, 11:46:06 AM »
tks Townie I can't remember where my dad was exactly he was a toolsetter in transmission, he used to tell me if you had a banger you could take it in the night shift and come out with a new body or engine, I think they had some good times in them days
Drews Lane, started across from Ward End Park on Washwood Heath Rd. The factory there was part of the Austin Morris group. Later used by LDV.
 I was a Fire & Security Officer at Adderley Park site, and as Rob says it was not unknown for blokes to sneak their car in on a Saturday night when the factory was not working, and when it left on Sunday had new wheels and tyres, battery, trim etc.
 One of the lads on my shift bought a Morris Traveller with a seriously sick engine. The group ran a scheme where employees could have a blue or gold seal recon engine & gear box fitted by the Millwrights shop.
It was £40 he paid for the gold seal, an amount stopped from wages weekly to pay for it.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

townie

« Reply #596 on: November 08, 2016, 12:50:07 PM »
Hi Steve. What year did you work at Morris Commercial Adderley Park? I'm asking as my dad worked there until they shut down and he moved to Drews Lane.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #597 on: November 08, 2016, 05:40:30 PM »
I spent a one month training period during Christmas 1965 at Austin / Morris, Drews Lane. I was seconded to the Training Officer in the Personnel Dept but he did not seem to have a job. I think he had probably been invalided from the shop floor and the only work I saw him do was to draft a poster stating 'If you do not do training, then you should'

How times have changed.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Steve

« Reply #598 on: November 08, 2016, 06:10:09 PM »
Hi Steve. What year did you work at Morris Commercial Adderley Park? I'm asking as my dad worked there until they shut down and he moved to Drews Lane.
I think it was about '64, '65 ish. I was made redundant. Not sure. Do you know what year it shut down?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Robgriff

« Reply #599 on: November 08, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »
great pic it certainly brings back memories
tks

townie

« Reply #600 on: November 08, 2016, 07:22:26 PM »

I think it was about '64, '65 ish. I was made redundant. Not sure. Do you know what year it shut down?

Steve to be honest I don't know, so I looked it up one says 74 but the majority say 71. If you were there in 64, 65 my dad would have defiantly been there he worked on the lathes making the crown and pinions.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

GardenGerald

« Reply #601 on: November 08, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
Evening All
Alum Rock Road had 3 cinemas..The Rock..The Grand and the Capital.  When you got to Southalls was there a Pub at the road junction where if you
took the left fork you could get into Ward End Park. As kids we would walk up Alum Rock and go left into  the park and come back down Washwood Heath Road.
Both roads started at the Gate, Saltley and ended at The Fox and Goose. I got my first Motor Bike from Kings Motor Cycles across Bromford Road from the Fox and Goose. Across from there was The Beafort Cinema. When we took girls out we often went to one of these cinemas.
Never took anyone to the Ashted, too many fleas.
Great Times and brilliant pictures boys so keep them coming.
Gerald.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #602 on: November 08, 2016, 10:14:39 PM »
Gerald

What about the Saltley Palace at 20 Alum Rock Road that opened on 1911 and although it was owned by many different owners and opened and closed many times. It didn't finally close for good until 1983 when it couldn't meet the heath and safety standards of that time. So in fact it was there before and after it's much bigger & better neighbour a little bit further up the hill The Rock.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

GardenGerald

« Reply #603 on: November 08, 2016, 11:04:47 PM »
Hello Phil

When it closed for good was it turned into a sort of Market Hall with about 16 traders inside.

Gerald.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #604 on: November 08, 2016, 11:18:14 PM »
It was also The Jig Saw (?) night club at one time, well I wouldn't call it a night club it was just a place to drink when the pubs closed.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy