Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329253 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #627 on: February 18, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »
Thanks Phil ,My friend lived a couple of doors up from the baths,we went to Goodrich St school together,Used to borrow the  blue tri angle swimming costume couldn't afford one myself.Edmund
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Paul33

« Reply #628 on: February 19, 2017, 08:40:48 PM »
On the 1939 Electoral Register, there were a fair number of people living on The Gate and the adjacent Metropolitan Road next to The Met works. On the 1945 Register, there was one person on Gate Street and nobody on Metropolitan Road.

I know The Gate took a bit of a caning in late 1940 but does anybody know when and how it all vanished as there were still people there after the late 1940 air raid ?

Munchalotta

Re: Adderley road, st saviours road, alum rock saltley
« Reply #629 on: April 27, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »
Hi

I wonder if anyone remembers me or my family, I lived in George Arthur Road, one of the two new houses built after the war, my name was Gayle and my parents were Sheila and Richard Williams, we only lived there for about 3-4 years around 1957-61,
My grandparents owned the off licence on the corner of Adderley Road and St Saviours Road, they owned the off licence for probably 30-40 years, Madge and Bill Wells,
I would love to hear from anyone who new any of us, and if you have any photos of the off licence or surrounding area I would love to see them please, thanks

Munchalotta

« Reply #630 on: April 28, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »
I haven't been on the site for a while, so was pleased to see so many people interested in Saltley/Alum Rock, I lived in Reginald Rd and my husband in George Arthur Rd, the grocery shop on the corner of Alum Rock Rd and George Arthur Rd was Bagley's, before it became Tesco's,  we are still in touch with Ernie Bagley who lived there with his mom and dad and sister Cynthia.
My husband and I went to St Saviours school and then I went to Nansen Rd school and my husband (Robert Jenkins) went to Leigh Rd.

Daisy1 (Rita)

Hi I once lived in George Arthur road. One of the two new houses near the baths. My grand parents owned the off licence on the corner of adderley road and st saviours road. They were there over 30 years Madge and Bill wells would you happen to remember them?

Munchalotta

« Reply #631 on: April 28, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
I remember the paper shop next to the No 8 bus stop on Adderly Rd. opposite the Tilt Hammer pub. I can't remember their name. There was a greengrocer called Baily very near to it in the 1940,s but it may have changed Hands. The driveway near these shops went down to our bakehouse and the backs of the shops in High st. Chaplins, Bentley the Taylor  etc.

The bus drivers and 'inspectors' used to walk down the driveway to get hot bread rolls at the Bakehouse. This about late 40's early 50's.

I remember Ivy Day the green grocer on Adderley Road. And Keatings the dry cleaners on the corner around 1960s

Munchalotta

« Reply #632 on: April 28, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »
Does anyone remember the swimming baths just of the bottom of Alum Rock Rd by the Rock picture house Edmund
I remember the swimming baths in George Arthur road. Spent many a happy day there. Also remember the wash baths on adderley road

townie

« Reply #633 on: July 05, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »

Phil,
 Thanks for the info.
Perhaps you have seen the painting below (not mine I'm sorry to say),
it shows the bus leaving the 'Gate' via Saltley Viaduct (around 1956),
to the left on the sky-line are the houses in Phillimore Road (off WasHwood Heath Rd). The building on the sky-line to the immediate right of the bus can only be the 'Rock' picture house? (although I can't recall it being that dominant).
The road off to the right is Crawford Street, with the 'London Tavern' pub on the corner.

That bus is going the wrong way, the bus is heading into town not to Castle Bromwich, Newport Road.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Robgriff

« Reply #634 on: September 17, 2017, 06:11:13 PM »
good evening to all,
did anyone attend high field road junior and infant school1959 onwards?.

Eliza

« Reply #635 on: February 14, 2018, 04:00:53 PM »
Hi Saddlebag,
Mike Shirley,
I read with interest your message dated 5th August could I be that girl you went to school with ? I attended Amberley Preparatory School
My Grandfather was H.B. Oldacres the ironmongers you mentioned he had two daughters Jean (my Mum) and Valerie.
The reason I joined this forum was because I was trying to find some information/ pictures of my Grandads shop or the Rock Cinema where my Step Dad was a projectionist.
My Grandparents lived in College Rd I can remember going to Braggs with my Nan.

Lindyloo

Eliza

« Reply #636 on: February 14, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
Hi lindyloo
Not sure I’m doing this correctly as never joined a forum before , but here goes !
I was just reading your post re Oldacres to my mother . Before I could mention your mother’s name , she said ‘Jean’ . I was amazed
She asks if Jean is still alive and does she remember a friend of my mother’s , Margaret Pitkin. I believe Margaret and your Mum were good friends . My mother’s name , Dorothy Rose.
Regards
Eliza

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #637 on: February 14, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
Hi lindyloo
Not sure I’m doing this correctly as never joined a forum before , but here goes !
I was just reading your post re Oldacres to my mother . Before I could mention your mother’s name , she said ‘Jean’ . I was amazed
She asks if Jean is still alive and does she remember a friend of my mother’s , Margaret Pitkin. I believe Margaret and your Mum were good friends . My mother’s name , Dorothy Rose.
Regards
Eliza

Hi Eliza

Welcome to the forum, firstly I have to tell you that Lindyloo only made 7 posts to the forum in August 2009 and hasn't posted again since then. Though there is nothing to say that she doesn't look in on the forum occasionally, so it is entirely possible that she or even someone else may pick upon your post.

Don't worry about making mistakes on the forum, we have all had to learn. One tip, when using the quote facility always make sure before you start typing that your cursor is below the last quote indicator.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy