Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329156 times)

Bevpsindy

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #638 on: March 13, 2018, 11:41:36 PM »
I remember a west indian shop opposite the rock cinema in the 60's.I had a saturday job at the hairdresser's next door to it called The Beauty Box.i also had dance lessons at The Silver Slipper on alum rock road by The Brookhill,Jean Johnson was my dance teacher. :)

Steve

« Reply #639 on: March 14, 2018, 11:00:45 AM »
Hello Bev, Welcome.
 I recall those shops you mention. The West Indian shop, was it the one that used to hang salt mackerel on the sunblind arms?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Underwood

« Reply #640 on: April 08, 2018, 09:03:09 AM »
Hi Pat, Tony Underwood here, still practicing hard randori, am 72 end of month.

Underwood

« Reply #641 on: April 08, 2018, 09:09:01 AM »
Hi Pat Collins, Tony Underwood here, still practicing since 1963.

Underwood

« Reply #642 on: April 09, 2018, 09:53:10 PM »
Hi Pat Collins, I went to Morris Judo club, still practicing - Not sure if you are still on here? Tony Underwood.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #643 on: July 10, 2018, 12:36:22 AM »
townie,
In the photo of the Diamand club you can see the original front wall of the old pub, and the club is built further back from the pavement.
[/quote
Thanks Fred but what I am trying to figure out is the Olive Branch building still standing]
That photo is the original Olive Branch, and still standing, we moved into our first house in Adderley road in 1977, the Olive Branch was my local. I worked at Tesco in Saltley, and i wolked past it everynight. The last Landlord i can remember was a irish man named john.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #644 on: July 10, 2018, 11:17:08 AM »
Hi Tony

I don't think we have spoke before, so hello and welcome from me, If you look at the original images in the post that is mentioned you will see a photo of the original pub that was there before the one that stands there now was built on the spot. I would imagine the reason it stands back from the road is because they built the new pub behind the old one before demolishing the old one.

As for Tesco's that you mention in your other post, I don't think it was Tesco's when it first opened (though I may be wrong), this is what I commented about the store when I first mentioned it.

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1513.msg313871#msg313871
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #645 on: July 10, 2018, 11:59:12 AM »
Does anyone remember George who had the butcher shop opposite the Rock Picture House in the late40s,his assistant was nameLennie and had a Lisp.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Daisy1

« Reply #646 on: July 10, 2018, 02:23:46 PM »
That would be George Lowe next door to the Village Tavern and directly opposite St Saviours school, I remember Lennie working there.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #647 on: July 10, 2018, 03:15:38 PM »
Daisy my mother loved his cuts of meat and sausage ,I had to go there 2times a week when we lived in Inkerman St,when we moved to Glebe Farm I still had to catch the 14 bus to go there for my mother with a note what she wanted that day and what she wanted on the other day.Good times O0 O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Daisy1

« Reply #648 on: July 10, 2018, 03:32:59 PM »
Edmund my husband lived in George Arthur Rd and I lived in Reginald Road, so walked past the butchers daily.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy