Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329164 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #660 on: July 11, 2018, 10:09:43 PM »
According to the trade directories, Bernard Bagley Confectioner was at 1 George Arthur Road until 1962. Then the following year there is nothing recorded for that address. The year later Tesco Self Service is recorded at 23 Alum Rock Road. Obviously both shops both shops were knocked into one or rather rebuilt. Then until the trade directory's finished in 1974 it remained listed as Tesco's Self Service.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Daisy1

« Reply #661 on: July 11, 2018, 10:23:20 PM »
Thanks Phil, the entrance to Bagley’s shop was right on the corner of Alum Rock Rd and George Arthur Road, there was quite a lot of land, the Bagley’s parked their cars at the back of their shop.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #662 on: July 11, 2018, 10:29:02 PM »
According to the trade directories, Bernard Bagley Confectioner was at 1 George Arthur Road until 1962. Then the following year there is nothing recorded for that address. The year later Tesco Self Service is recorded at 23 Alum Rock Road. Obviously both shops both shops were knocked into one or rather rebuilt. Then until the trade directory's finished in 1974 it remained listed as Tesco's Self Service.
Hi Phil,
thanks for your reply, while i worked at Tescos we lived at 6, George Arthur Rd. So there must of been terrace housing running along the side where Tescos backyard was.
We were next door to the pub on the corner of Alum Rock Rd and George Arthur. cannot quite remember the name now, with housing maybe number 2 and 4, then us at 6.

Regards

Tony.

Daisy1

« Reply #663 on: July 11, 2018, 10:34:25 PM »
The pub Tony was The Village Tavern. My husband Robert was born at 24, George Arthur Rd and lived there until we married in 1963.
Robert and Ernie Bagley grew up together, but Robert went to Leigh Rd school and Ernie went to Alston Rd school.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #664 on: July 11, 2018, 11:34:18 PM »
The pub Tony was The Village Tavern. My husband Robert was born at 24, George Arthur Rd and lived there until we married in 1963.
Robert and Ernie Bagley grew up together, but Robert went to Leigh Rd school and Ernie went to Alston Rd school.
Thanks Daisy,
 i should have known that, myself and a few other lads used to drink in there fridays nights, we did a local pub crawl, The Village, Tilt Hammer, The Havelock, Olive Branch and The White House ( or Horse) on Saltley Viaduct. There was 2 pubs on the viaduct, but i cant remember the other one.  Phil, it would not be the one still there, The Sportsman.
And then on Saturday night, wifes and girlfriends would come along, and we would all go to the Locarno in town.  You may remember the Cabin in the city centre, that was where we all meet, no mobiles then lol.
When we came out the night club me and my wife would go for a curry. Wish i could remember more names  from George Arthur Rd.
24 George Arthur would have been only 9 houses from us.

Best wishes all.

Tony. :)

Daisy1

« Reply #665 on: July 12, 2018, 01:09:35 AM »
Some of the names of families that Rob and I remember are, Henderson, there was a Dave, Morris, There was a Lorna, Sadley, Sylvia Bird, Barbara Harris, Jonny Carter, Kenny Ludlow, Shirley Green, Gumbley, Bobby Barr, Ernie and Cynthia Bagley.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #666 on: July 12, 2018, 08:22:58 AM »
A couple of images of the junction of Alum Rock Road and George Arthur Road. One showing the Village Tavern and another showing the village Tavern and the once Tesco building.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #667 on: July 12, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »
Daisy did you ever get taken to the TOTE PUB on the same side as THE Rock picture house  but down by the GATE cross roads.Went there every SAT night with Mom & Dad in the late 40s.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Daisy1

« Reply #668 on: July 12, 2018, 02:52:08 PM »
No Edmund I never did, in fact I know my dad frequented the pubs down the Rock, but I never went to any pubs. Even now as an adult I have never drunk alcohol, I just can’t see the point of it lol

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #669 on: July 12, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »
We used to meet my aunts uncles and cousins there every Sat night from 1945-49 ,we couldn't all meet at my Grand Mothers in Goodrick St as the house was to small . ;D ;D
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #670 on: July 12, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
Daisy did you ever get taken to the TOTE PUB on the same side as THE Rock picture house  but down by the GATE cross roads.Went there every SAT night with Mom & Dad in the late 40s.

There was no pub between the Rock cinema and the Washwood Heath road junction. There was however at number 20 Alum Rock Road the Saltley & District Social Club. A place I never got to use but sometime in the sixties the social club closed and it opened some time later as the Jig Saw club, a place of ill repute so I am told. If it was then it was probably one of the places I used that I have no coherent memory of.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy