Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329245 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #671 on: July 12, 2018, 05:00:12 PM »
When our family went there it was known as the TOTE CLUB
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #672 on: July 13, 2018, 01:30:00 AM »
When our family went there it was known as the TOTE CLUB
I remember the Jig saw club, but i only went in once, i think it had a fire inside, then closed down, not sure what it was after that, some kind of shop i would think.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #673 on: July 13, 2018, 01:34:46 AM »
Some of the names of families that Rob and I remember are, Henderson, there was a Dave, Morris, There was a Lorna, Sadley, Sylvia Bird, Barbara Harris, Jonny Carter, Kenny Ludlow, Shirley Green, Gumbley, Bobby Barr, Ernie and Cynthia Bagley.
Daisy,
which years were you living in George Arthur? i think it was the early nineties when we moved out to Sheldon.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #674 on: July 13, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »
Tony

The club was originally the Saltley Picture Palace in the silent film era (see photo), I suppose it closed when they built the Rock cinema. It then became a social club and later a nightclub, and at the end of it's days probably after the fire that you mention it became an indoor market.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Daisy1

« Reply #675 on: July 13, 2018, 01:51:28 PM »
Tony I didn’ Live in George Arthur Rd, my husband did, I lived in the next rd up, Reginald Road, but I did have lots of friends in George Arthur Rd.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #676 on: July 13, 2018, 09:14:01 PM »
Tony

The club was originally the Saltley Picture Palace in the silent film era (see photo), I suppose it closed when they built the Rock cinema. It then became a social club and later a nightclub, and at the end of it's days probably after the fire that you mention it became an indoor market.
Great picture Phil! Good picture of the tavern as well, we used the door on the corner, the top room was used by west indians to play dominoes, an older couple ran it when we used it, the picture looks like after they left.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #677 on: July 13, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »
Tony I didn’ Live in George Arthur Rd, my husband did, I lived in the next rd up, Reginald Road, but I did have lots of friends in George Arthur Rd.
Sorry Daisy, you did mention that before  :-[

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #678 on: July 13, 2018, 09:17:16 PM »
Daisy,
we lived in Reginald road for a while number 6, and Adderley road before that.

Daisy1

« Reply #679 on: July 14, 2018, 07:29:05 AM »
Tony, I think I know who you are, does your surname begins with L and do you have a sister called Maureen, did you lived in the maisonettes opposite me. I lived at number eleven and have a brother called Robert, my name is Rita.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #680 on: July 15, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »
Tony, I think I know who you are, does your surname begins with L and do you have a sister called Maureen, did you lived in the maisonettes opposite me. I lived at number eleven and have a brother called Robert, my name is Rita.
Hi Rita, iam not the one your thinking of, as you walk down reginald rd from alum rock rd we lived on the right, about 2/3 doors from the maiisonettes, we had a couple called dave and maureen next to us.
 :)

Daisy1

« Reply #681 on: July 15, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
If that’s right Tony, surely the number can’t be right, I lived at number 11 and the maisonette opposite where Jimmy Hickey lived was number 29, the houses would have followed on from there, with higher numbers than 6.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy