Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329239 times)

Aaron2019

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #715 on: February 28, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »
Anyone know raymond taffy Phillip's? Worked in taxi rank Alum Rock.

Maggie barber

Re: Adderley road, st saviours road, alum rock saltley
« Reply #716 on: March 08, 2020, 07:05:22 PM »
Hi

I wonder if anyone remembers me or my family, I lived in George Arthur Road, one of the two new houses built after the war, my name was Gayle and my parents were Sheila and Richard Williams, we only lived there for about 3-4 years around 1957-61,
My grandparents owned the off licence on the corner of Adderley Road and St Saviours Road, they owned the off licence for probably 30-40 years, Madge and Bill Wells,
I would love to hear from anyone who new any of us, and if you have any photos of the off licence or surrounding area I would love to see them please, thanks

This is the first time I've posted on here so I don't know if I'm doing this right.
We lived at 136 Adderley road, our family name was Bews. My gran  lived at 132 ( Laura Overton) and aunt Jane lived I think at 128. My uncle Bill and his wife Lily lived at the flat above Mrs Tomms ( opposite Norton Baths).
We all knew Billy Wells very well. He and my uncle Bill were good friends and both sharp dressers. Billy Wells  was an absolute gentlemen.  He always wore a jacket.  I dont remember why but i remember going round the back of the off licence  into their private quarters, I have a meeting impression of how smart it all was. I particularly remember a court yard that was full if flowers. 
I don't know if you will pick this up anytime soon, but my dad Peter Bews, is still alive and kicking at 92. He gas many memories of Billy. Get in touch before too long. Cheers Maggie

mmh

Alum Rock Saltley - George Arthur road swimming baths
« Reply #717 on: March 29, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
I remember the swimming baths in George Arthur road. Spent many a happy day there. Also remember the wash baths on adderley road

Gosh it was the best place for me during 1977 - to 1983 or so ........thank you for the lovely photos on this Forum

mmh

Alum Rock Saltley - Havelock Road - Nansen & Naseby School
« Reply #718 on: March 29, 2020, 03:41:00 PM »

Hello Everyone

I am still a current resident of the area since 1977 and would like to thank all the former and current residents for their superb contributions.

Thanks to your superb sharing of historical information – you shall always be part of this community.

My grandfather moved to this area in the early 1950s after Royal Navy.…. my father in the 1960’s and we came over from Bangladesh in 1977.

I’ve lived in this area since 1977 so it’s my home too and the home of my children.
We lived on George Arthur Road for few years – no 63 by the Baptist church then my parents bought a house on Havelock Rd  and we lived there until 15 years ago, then we moved to a newbuild property off Anthony Rd, which was the old BT depot as some of you may know.
I sold our property on Havelock Road in 2018 to a local resident who wanted to be close to his mother .. so, the area still has a family vibe to it.

Yes the area and community has changed over the years….. would have been nicer if there was a higher mix of the old indigenous mix of “white” community but people do move on as they gain more wealth and seek better life .. I think this area was had lots of people of Irish decent and now by every part of the world with Asians being the vast majority...

I have properties in Sutton but still prefer this Saltley area…….. we have so many nice people here that it’s hard to describe.
I have a Church Pastor & his lovely family as neighbours …. working people, business people, young families, senior citizens and we all get along.
Yes, unfortunately you do hear of crime reports etc but that’s same in most diverse areas … I have properties in Sutton, Stratford Upon Avon area and they too have issues.
Overall, I personally think this area is still carrying forward a lot of the community spirits that I found in the 1970s …… albeit with a different cultural mix
This area is rich in culture and family spirit …..  We have benefited from good education and the increase wealth has also helped tremendously too.  Saltley area has always been a starting place for everyone.

I attended Nansen Primary School, then Naseby School 1981- 1983 through to Park View School and left in 1986 for higher education. (Mr Roger Burr, Mr Coleman, Mr Perks,  Mrs Baxter/Thomas… Mrs Bailey … to name a few)

My School days were the best days of my life!

I hope one day that some of us will get together and arrange a reunion of people that lived and attended schools here.
I will certainly try to visit some of the groups that I have now seen mentioned once this Coronavirus lockdown is over.

I wish everyone well and please keep safe.

A very big thank you to Phil the Global Moderator for his excellent work.
Meb

I will attached an old photo of our house 74 Havelock Road and my neighbour Albert H Dixons, Car repairs from 1976

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #719 on: March 29, 2020, 04:23:08 PM »
Thanks MMH for the lovely recollections and photo of your area.

Living at Castle Bromwich, I regularly passed though Saltley on the Midland Red to Birmingham or on my bike to and from Matthew Boulton Tech. Also, my mother worked at the Metropolitan Cammell and had many friends in the area.    O0
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

frederick

« Reply #720 on: March 29, 2020, 05:24:03 PM »
Ian,
I attended Mathew Bolton Tech it must be the new one that you work at. The original one as been demolished I had to move form the original one to the new I think it was in Suffolk St.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #721 on: March 29, 2020, 05:30:53 PM »
Ian,
I attended Mathew Bolton Tech it must be the new one that you work at. The original one as been demolished I had to move form the original one to the new I think it was in Suffolk St.

No Fred, I was on part-time day-release from Dunlop at the old Tech from 1958 - 1960. Afterwards, I went to Gosta Green CAT (now Aston Uni)
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

mmh

Alum Rock Saltley - Naseby School
« Reply #722 on: March 29, 2020, 06:26:32 PM »

Hello everyone -

I'm trying to locate a Naseby School photograph 1982-83
If anyone has a good copy please let me know.

Incidentally there is a wonderful 1968 Naseby School photograph on Facebook or
Alum-Rock-Community-Forum

I couldn't upload as it was more than 80kb size   . I'll try to attach a part photo

mmh

Re: Alum Rock Saltley - Nansen School
« Reply #723 on: March 29, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »
Nansen School 1968

mmh

Alum Rock Saltley - Nansen School 1982-83
« Reply #724 on: March 29, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »

This a poor Copy of Nansen  School 1982-83

mmh

Re: Alum Rock Saltley - Naseby School 1982-83
« Reply #725 on: March 29, 2020, 06:45:02 PM »

.Naseby School 1982-83

If anyone has good quality photo of 1982-83 when the school changed please email me dircet.

Cheers..Meb

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy