Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329189 times)

Chrissyjack

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #726 on: April 12, 2020, 04:26:52 PM »
Hi Penny,
Nice to know someone else remembers Copes; with a family connection too. Perhaps if you see your brother in law, (you dont say if he is still with us) you might ask if he remembers Sonia JOnes. I think he might have been sweet on her at one time, but she married Ray Williams from Crawford Street. (Now both dead). They had a cafe on Adderley Road and Ray started the Adderley Road Football Team. I have some team  photos from 1962/63 I will post them if any one is interested in seeing them.
Welcome to the site.
Regards
Elaine

Chrissyjack

« Reply #727 on: April 12, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
 Hi Elaine . Could you please post photos of Ray's Adderley football club as my dad used to play for them . Thanks

GardenGerald

« Reply #728 on: April 12, 2020, 05:30:38 PM »
Hello Chrissy
The Football team was Rockwood Rovers.
Take care
Gerald.

Chrissyjack

« Reply #729 on: August 08, 2020, 11:06:09 AM »
Hi Elaine . Have you still got photo,s of Ray,s Adderley road football team . Thanks

Ian bowker

« Reply #730 on: November 28, 2020, 09:18:01 PM »
Hi Phil as you come from this area can you remember a factory on Adderley road just before Ash road my grandad worked there all his life but i have no family members left to ask who could remember. All i can remember is if you travelled from the gate it was on the right about 1/2 mile. think it was a single or double story factory no more than that.
Thanks Dennis.
). Hi, the name of the factory just past Crawford St  was John Headley Birch... Hope this helps. ..Ian Bowker

Ian bowker

« Reply #731 on: November 28, 2020, 09:34:50 PM »
Hi Townie , I believe the name of the factory was John Hedley Birch on the right just passed Crawford Street.Hope this helps.

Habib

« Reply #732 on: January 05, 2021, 10:53:43 PM »
This my first time on this forum and I have just read all comments and seen all the photos. I use to live on sta saviours Rd, opposite st saviours Church. It was fascinating seeing the old photos of the church. I remember going to the swimming baths on George Arthur St. I use to go to Adderley primary school on Arden Rd from 1978 to 1984. If anyone has photos of the school or st saviours Rd I would love to see them.

WAG

« Reply #733 on: January 16, 2021, 05:57:59 PM »
I too used to go to George Arthur road swimming baths every week with all my mates, i was born in Wright road in 1957 delivered by nurse Baker who also lived on wright road, i went to Highfield junior and infants school then onto Naseby secondary school, lived there till the 1980s when i then left the area, great memories of growing up there and visiting the local pubs which many people mention on here, The Havelock, The Gate, The Tilt, The Cross guns, The Swann, great memories, and brilliant when people post photos of these places really brings the good times back. great forum, keep posting :)

FlaxleyGirl

« Reply #734 on: January 28, 2021, 12:54:06 PM »
Does anyone remember the shop W. PUGH, almost opposite 'The Gate", on Washwood Heath Road, Newsagent, Sweets, Tobacconist? Bombed out early 1940`s, then shortly afterwards re-establishd just around the corner on Alum Rock Road. The business taken over several years later by a Mr MARKLEW.
I've only just joined the forum and no longer live in Birmingham - left in 1978. I grew up in Stechford and am a Marklew! I hadn't known about this shop, but I will ask my older siblings. My grandparents (Marklew's) did own a shop at one point, but I don't think it was in Saltley and I think it was a grocers.

Mainly I remember Alum Rock for trips to 'the pictures' or shopping. There was also a picture house at The Pelham wasn't there?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #735 on: January 28, 2021, 01:08:07 PM »
That was the Capitol. FLAXLEY GIRL
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Paul33

« Reply #736 on: February 02, 2021, 11:18:42 AM »
Would love to see any photos from Hartopp Road 1960s/1970s if anybody has any.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy