Author Topic: Alum Rock Saltley  (Read 329244 times)

Ian bowker

Re: Alum Rock Saltley
« Reply #737 on: February 25, 2021, 09:16:02 PM »
hi, i used to live at 7 back of 28 cranby street saltley in the 60s the name is ian Bowker [Ernie] does anyone remember me or the name.

Shoaib

« Reply #738 on: December 14, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »
Hi. I've just found this forum and wanted to say thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures, they're great to see and I them fascinating. I'm 39 now and just moved from Edmund Road where I'd lived for the last 33 years or so. Does anyone have any pictures of Edmund Road, I've looked through the pictures on the previous pages and the closest I got to was a picture of Saltley Methodist Church on Alum Rock Rd which, ever so slightly, shows the corner of Edmund Road.

DAWDAV

« Reply #739 on: December 27, 2021, 12:09:56 PM »
I was brought up on Gowan Rd Alum Rock. I remember watching an old grainy black and white tv in 1972 when the battle of Saltley gate was in full flow. All the factory workers from the local British Leyland car factories came out in support of the miners at the Saltley coke depot. My father was working in Drews lane and was a shop steward. I recall shouting to my mother "dads on the telly" she came running in from the kitchen to witness my father with his arm shoved up his back by a policeman being arrested. He was taken to Stetchford police station and bailed for £5. My mother refused to pay!

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #740 on: December 27, 2021, 12:12:27 PM »
Well done to your mother DawDav
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

suemalings

« Reply #741 on: December 27, 2021, 12:33:44 PM »
I lived in Ash Road, Saltley for about 14 years and used to go with mom to Alum Rock for shopping on a Saturday morning.  When I was 13 I started working for Mrs. Cutts who owned the general shop down the bottom of Ash Road.  Sadly the flats we lived in were demolished although the were new when we moved in around 1955.  We moved onto Nansen Road (in the country!!) not to far from Ward End Park, then really became posh and moved to Garretts Green!

SENSIBLE

« Reply #742 on: December 27, 2021, 02:44:20 PM »
I was brought up on Gowan Rd Alum Rock. I remember watching an old grainy black and white tv in 1972 when the battle of Saltley gate was in full flow. All the factory workers from the local British Leyland car factories came out in support of the miners at the Saltley coke depot. My father was working in Drews lane and was a shop steward. I recall shouting to my mother "dads on the telly" she came running in from the kitchen to witness my father with his arm shoved up his back by a policeman being arrested. He was taken to Stetchford police station and bailed for £5. My mother refused to pay!

I was present when the Miners assembled to demonstrate outside the Gasworks Gate in Nechells Place and I watched as the factory workers joined them. I was totally disgusted  when I witnessed a policeman deliberately push several people from behind for no reason whatsoever. When they fell forwards they were arrested by other policemen who probably thought that they were surging forwards. I just couldn't believe that this was happening and felt really annoyed that we had scum like that individual in our police force.  >:(
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

frederick

« Reply #743 on: December 27, 2021, 06:19:16 PM »
The Police are frightened to touch the minority demonstrators now.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

sidcowens10

« Reply #744 on: March 08, 2022, 11:57:03 PM »
I've only just joined the forum and no longer live in Birmingham - left in 1978. I grew up in Stechford and am a Marklew! I hadn't known about this shop, but I will ask my older siblings. My grandparents (Marklew's) did own a shop at one point, but I don't think it was in Saltley and I think it was a grocers.

Mainly I remember Alum Rock for trips to 'the pictures' or shopping. There was also a picture house at The Pelham wasn't there?

I lived on George Arthur Rd and as a lad worked at Len Horton Butchers next to the Village Pub. Im sure there was a  Marklews grocers down by Saltley Gate. There was also a Les Marklow (i think) who ran the Newsagents next to the 'Chuckwagon' cafe. This would be 70' into the 80's

Sooty

« Reply #745 on: June 18, 2022, 06:17:33 PM »
Please, please can anyone supply me with a Naseby School photo (the panoramic one)  taken in March 1968.... I lost mine, it has me on it along with my husband of 52 years. Who can I contact to get a replacement and I am more than happy to pay for it.... please x

Gwladmab

« Reply #746 on: June 20, 2022, 09:42:37 PM »
Please, please can anyone supply me with a Naseby School photo (the panoramic one)  taken in March 1968.... I lost mine, it has me on it along with my husband of 52 years. Who can I contact to get a replacement and I am more than happy to pay for it.... please x
Hello Sooty, welcome to the forum. I’ve googled the name of your school and a few images have come up, some panoramic black and white of children and staff.

I dare say the schools had a specific professional photographer that came in to do the photos. Do you know if there were any professional photographers in the area at that time? There may be an archive. The other consideration, were these photographers contracted by Birmingham Education Committee at that time. The Education organisation in Birmingham these days may have some records to help you on your way. Good Luck.

fashionz

« Reply #747 on: July 27, 2022, 06:06:28 PM »
Hello TimesFool

I would have thought that these two photos had been uploaded previous to this, I'm not too conversant with Naseby Rd but here are two early photos. Would that be the school at the top of the hill on one of them?

Sadly its very true what you say about residents of most of the districts of Birmingham not just Saltley & Alum Rock. It seems that they are just not interested in history of where they live. So its good to hear from someone who has a different outlook.

Phil
Is that the school that used to be Nansen Juniors and Senior Girls School?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy