Author Topic: Florists in Belgrave Road, Balsall Heath.  (Read 1997 times)

Empson

Florists in Belgrave Road, Balsall Heath.
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:39:46 PM »
Somewhere on the north side of Belgrave Road there was we believe a florists shop. We hear that it was owned or managed by a gentleman by the name of Reeve or Reeves. First name u known
I can remember the road ( inner circle bus route) as an uncle lived near the junction with longmore street, opposite Dares Brewery.This shop was apparently some way down the hill from Moseley Road.
Anyone got any memories of it or the guy who owned it or managed it . Apparently it had creaky floorboards
Any help would be appreciated.  There was also a family named Reeves in Vincent Street 40’s or 50’s

That’s for an elderly lady with some vague memories and family anecdotes and you know what they were like .......”but we don’t talk about....”

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Florists in Belgrave Road, Balsall Heath.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 06:20:28 PM »
Empson

I've had a look in the trade directories for the 50's and 60's and can find no mention of a florist all, nor any type of a shop owned or managed by anybody called Reeves. Though this doesn't mean that there wasn't such a shop as it might have been listed at a fruit shop or a greengrocers previously and was never changed.

My grandparents lived in Vincent Street until it was demolished and I lived there myself in the 50's and I don't remember anyone by the name of Reeves, but it was a big street and the whole middle section of it was bombed out in the 40's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Empson

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »
Thanks for checking the trade directories Phil. I don’t remember Belgrave Road too well. Dares I knew because my uncle lived opposite. Sherborne Road I remember as I delivered papers to some of the houses and Bromley’s outdoor (Off licence). There was the Pub on the corner of Belgrave andMoseley Road but I was st a loss when a lady said she remembered the floorboards creaking. I can’t remember any florists shops anywhere. Green grocers used to sell flowers and the nearest small green grocer must have been Allen’s in Balsall Heath Road or perhaps there was one on Longmore Street or Gooch Street.
Thanks again.

Empson

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 02:55:04 PM »
Regarding Vincent Street.  I lived at 114 from the late thirties till 1942. Grandparents house in Wenman Street took a direct hit and my folks had to move because my aunt wanted 114 for my grandparents.so we moved to Balsall Heath Road. Now I used to play with most of the lads in Vincent Street and Vincent parade in the 50s but I cannot recall a Reeves either. Davenports,Potters Wisemans Brooke Hill and Thorpe  alsoithink Norbury but not Reeves. The only Reeves I knew was the Model shop by the chippy on Moseley Road.
“I think I’ll have to think it out again”

retriever

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 08:31:51 PM »
Somewhere on the north side of Belgrave Road there was we believe a florists shop. We hear that it was owned or managed by a gentleman by the name of Reeve or Reeves. First name u known
I can remember the road ( inner circle bus route) as an uncle lived near the junction with longmore street, opposite Dares Brewery.This shop was apparently some way down the hill from Moseley Road.
Anyone got any memories of it or the guy who owned it or managed it . Apparently it had creaky floorboards
Any help would be appreciated.  There was also a family named Reeves in Vincent Street 40’s or 50’s

That’s for an elderly lady with some vague memories and family anecdotes and you know what they were like .......”but we don’t talk about....”

retriever

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:32:44 PM »
Not on the Belgrave Road but in the 50s my nan Emily Reeves had a florist shop next door to the co-op on Edward Road,.

Empson

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 09:10:49 AM »
 Retriever,
That’s Edward road in Balsall Heath ?
Was it above or below Wenman Street, Vincent Street/George Street.?

retriever

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 11:14:02 AM »
Empson,
Shop was no.121 Edward Road, coming from Moseley road it was after Wenman St. & Vincent St. but before Mary St. on opposite side of road to Police station.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »
I knew the Co op in Edward Road very well, as I used to fetch my grandmothers shopping from there as a youngster (I still remember her divi number). Though I had difficulty in remembering the florist shop, well it's not the sort of place a young boy takes note of.

So I looked it up and as you say retriever it was at 121 Edward Road and owned by a Mrs Emily Reeves in the 50's and it was taken over by a Dinah Searles in the 1960's. I've tried to find a photo of the shop on it's own and although finding one of the Co op wasn't a problem the florist shop was more elusive. In the attached photo the shop is just adjacent to the Transit Van.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Empson

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »
Retriever.
I used to walk down Edward Road to get to Calthorpe Park or Cannon Hill Park so I don’t remember the
Co op. I do remember a little cake shop on theGeorge Street side of Edward Road bu it cannot recalll there being a police station that far down.
The only police station I remember was between Moseley Road and tindalstreet/ George Street
The superintendents name was Wheyway and he had two daughters. He used to attend The Methodist Church which was opposite the library and baths.
Empson

retriever

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 10:20:00 PM »
Empson,
you are correct about the location of the Police station,  (my father was based there) what I meant is that it was on other side of road...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy