Author Topic: Pub landlords  (Read 2396 times)

JoshJLee

Pub landlords
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
My great grandfather William Smith was a publican in Aston around 1865/1885. How do I find him please

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Pub landlords
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 03:43:28 PM »
Hi Josh

Welcome to the forum, with so little information and so common a name I am assuming a lot here, so don't take what I say as gospel.

There were a lot of William Smith beer retailers in the 1860's but the only one I can find in the Aston area (bearing in mind that Aston was  lot larger then than now) is William Smith brewer of the Queens Hotel at the junction of Queens Road and Vicarage Road Aston who also is registered at number 37 Love Lane and 24 Aston Road which I think was a corner property which in fact was the General Wolfe public house. The Queens Hotel with the brewery next door later became Atkinsons brewery.

I have attached a photo of the Queens hotel and the General Wolfe which were both still standing in the 60's but are now gone.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Pitchkid303

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 03:00:04 PM »
Have you tried having a look at the 1871 and 1881 Census records, these can be viewed free of charge at most libraries with Ancestry and Findmypast websites. The Ancestry one can be searched by Parish, it may take a little time but if you know his year of birth and where he was born it should narrow it down and of course having a profession of Publican will make it a lot easier.

Dawnie1960

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 10:43:35 AM »

Hi

I hope you don't mind me butting in your conversation. I am looking for a Judith Howard who was a landlady in one of the pubs on Watery Lane Small Heath Birmingham  in 1966/1967. I don't know where to start. Any advice please?

regards
Dawn

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »
Hi Dawnie

Welcome to you, I can give you the name of the four pubs that once stood in Watery Lane in the 60's. None of which are still there, unfortunately by the 1960's the trade directories were no longer naming the licencees of the public houses that they listed.

3    Watery Lane The Sailors Return
12  Coachsmiths Arms
185 Barrell Inn
222 Crown & Anchor

Don't worry I'm sure one of our poster who is into Genealogy and who has access to sources such as the Electoral Rolls  well be able to help you further.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy