Author Topic: Josiah Mason Orphanage, Erdington,  (Read 300 times)

Terry Garvey

Josiah Mason Orphanage, Erdington,
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:09:15 PM »
I was in Sir Josiah Mason Orphanage from about 1950- 53

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Josiah Mason Orphanage, Erdington,
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 08:00:24 PM »

hi t/g welcome to the forum   this photo just for you   

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Peg Monkey

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 10:55:28 PM »
Hi Terry, were your memories fond ones? As you know the orphanage closed early 60s and was demolished 1964, between those dates me and my mates played on the fantastic football pitch in the grounds, I was living on the Lyndhurst Estate at the time, I was 10 when we moved there in 1960.
The Evening Mail ran an article when the building was demolished with a photo, a ghostly figurehead, claimed to be Sir Josiah, formed in the cloud of dust that accompanied the demolition. As far as I am aware the only physical reminders of Mason are his Bust on the island at the junction of Chester Rd and Orphanage Rd and, of course, Orphanage Rd. itsself.
Peg.

Terry Garvey

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:32:20 PM »
Hello Peg.
Not really the place was regimented and very impersonal, also it had a big clock tower and the chimes would wake you in the night and it would be dark and scary. LOL
I was there for three years before I was adopted. And ended up living in Sandy Lane in the back to back houses, not to sure which was worse.
Thanks for the photo.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 11:18:22 PM »
For anyone unfamiliar with the establishment: http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/BirminghamMason/
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 07:26:22 PM »
...... As far as I am aware the only physical reminders of Mason are his Bust on the island at the junction of Chester Rd and Orphanage Rd and, of course, Orphanage Rd. itsself.
Peg.
The link below will take you to a mapsite of 1888-1913 vintage, centre frame is the junction of Chester Rd and Orphanage Rd, this later became an island and this is where the bust of Josiah Mason Resides. The Orphange is south of the junction.
As far as I am aware there is no commemorative plaque to the orphanage, presumably the powers that be considered Mason's Bust sufficient for the purpose.
Peg.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.5320&lon=-1.8244&layers=168&b=6

Abt

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »
The Josiah Masons primary school (now Yenton primary) that was attached to the orphanage educated both the children in the orphanage and day pupils.
I was one of the day pupils from 1950 to 1953, Headmaster Mr Shillitoe.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »

it also had a youth club yenton youth club  I was a member of that club when I was in Erdington

we did all kinds of things with the club camping map reading  modal making  went to a place at Earlswood the log cabin for the weekend 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes