Author Topic: Wanted, please. date of openining of shop in Rubery.  (Read 2217 times)

cocacolakid

Wanted, please. date of openining of shop in Rubery.
« on: March 22, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
Phil, Roy, Mike...

I am trying to remember the date the VG shop first opened in Longwood Rd Rubery. The shop was a council owned premises, and was newly built, it was where we were moved to when they demolished our old shop in River St, Balsall Heath. It would have been registered in the name of K. Jeffries, my mother. I know some of you have trade/business guidebooks & wondered if anyone could help. 
                                                                                                                                  Thanks. Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Wanted, please. date of openining of shop in Rubery.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:55:22 PM »
Malc

The trade directories finish in 1973/74 and there is no mention of a shop up to then, you need someone who has access to to census records such as Mike. Lyn or abt.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »
Phil..

We moved there in the early 60s so would have thought it should be in a trade directory if they didn't end until the 70s, as you say?  Perhaps one of the other members you mention will be able to find the info by other means, thanks for your response  O0

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 02:44:21 PM »
Malc

Sorry I only looked in the 70's as it was during this time that the area you mention was demolished. I will take another look only I'll look in the 60's this time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 02:59:51 PM »
Malc

I looked at 1962, 1965, and 1968 and there was no sign of a shop, Could it have been on a corner of one of the roads off Longwood Road. Have you any idea what the street number was if not I think you will have to wait until someone with census access posts.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:22:07 PM »

Phil..

Sorry for not being able to reply sooner.  The shop was number four Longwood Rd, it was next to an outdoor which was number two,  that was on the actual corner of the road. Both shops were brand new, in fact we had to wait for shop to be finished before we were able to move from River St, I feel sure it was either 1961 or 62 but I can't remember exactly and would like to find out the year & month if possible. Hopefully some one with the census access will help, like you suggest. Thanks again for your help, Phil. O0 O0
                                                                                                                               Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 10:03:07 AM »
Malc

Looking at the maps for the 1950's I can tell you that number 2 & number 4 were in place then, So perhaps if you had to wait for them to be finished because they were being converted to retail premises from ordinary flats or houses because of the lack of shops in the area, Both numbers were on the corner of Stonecroft Avenue and seem to be part of a larger block, maybee a maisonette block. There seems to been some sort of a reconstruction in the 70's and number 2 & 4 with their blocks disappear from the maps.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »

Good morning Phil..

Stonecroft Avenue was on the corner as you say, I don't know what was on the site of our shop and the outdoor prior to them being built, all I know is that they were newly built from the ground up, and there was a 3 storey block of flats being built next door to the shops, but they were set back a fair bit from the shops. The rest of Longwood road existed of  old 3 storey blocks of flats, houses & some maisonettes., the same for Stonecroft Ave. I guess where the shops & the new block of flats were built there was a residential buildings of sorts that had been demolished. The shops were demolished along with some of the flats sometime in the 80s and new houses were built on our side of the road, the flats along the other side of the road were modernised, we had left Longwood Rd before all the redevelopment had started. Seems strange that there doesn't seem to be any record of the shops. I would have thought they would have had to be registered as business premises.
                                                                                                                                 Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
Malc

This is a section of an OS map of the area dated 1952. as you can see it is quite different to that of today. Were these shops built on the area that is now a car parking area? The thing is entry in the trade directories were completely voluntary. When a new business was known to have opened they would write to you and ask if you wanted to be included, this could be just a free listing or a paid one with an advert. The thing is if the time that the shop opened and the last directory in 73/74 was only a few years then perhaps they never got around to asking if they wanted to be included.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 02:40:37 PM »

Phil..

Yes the shops were where the houses now are, with those cars parked. It was always a parking area when we lived there, but a slightly different layout. I have posted for some info on a Rubery group I am a member of and asked for info from anyone who lived in Longwood Rd at the relevant time. I have had some response and several have confirmed that it was just wasteland that the shops were built on, going back as far as 1955 by a couple of people that were living there at that time, though they don't know why it was just wasteland, the kids in the road used to play on it.

Malc.

cocacolakid

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 02:56:29 PM »

Phil..

Looking more closely at the o.s plan from 52, the layout looks very much like how it was when we moved there, including the shape of the parking area. If it was wasteland well before the shops were built, why would there be the numbers 2 & 4 be on the plan? there is also shown the row of council owned lock up garages shown, they were there at my time of being there. Your comment regarding the registering of businesses could well mean that my mother didn't do it if it wasn't compulsory.
                                                                                                                                           Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy