Author Topic: main line steam trains from snow hill  (Read 4384 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: main line steam trains from snow hill
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 04:13:49 PM »
baz ,they were all a wonderful work of Art.Not like today's diesel faceless monstrositys
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 04:45:53 PM »
There is a new points layout which stops leaves clogging them up and stopping the train running. Instead of sliding together the one part lifts up off the ground a few inches swivels over to the next and drops into it's place.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

townie

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »

I have to admit that leaves on the tracks is a big problem in the autumn. Electric trains are not an heavy as the old steamers so traction is less. All measures are taken to keep the railway running safe. Every autumn all drivers are trained on leaf fall driving not just in the armchair but out on the rails at night.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 05:26:44 PM »
The live rail should have been put in the air like the rest of GB not on the ground :idiot2: :idiot2: idiot design

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
the steam locomotive  is a work of art its a living beast  I some times go in to kiddy station and speak to the drivers and firemen they all say the same thing it speaks to you it tells when things are not right it seem has if its got a life of its own
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 06:36:59 PM »
Roy,used to love to go around Crewe,Derby,Doncaster Worksto see them put together.AndGrantham to see them come down the hill and race through the station.Magic.

baz

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 08:53:29 PM »
The last time I was in a steam train was about ten years ago. It was the one that runs from Llangollen to (then) Carrog. Seeing a tunnel coming up I got funny looks from the younger people in the carriage when I jumped up and shut all the windows near us. The laugh was on them though, when we entered the tunnel and their end of the carriage filled up with smoke and cinders. There's no substitute for experience !

Scipio

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 09:36:58 PM »
Roy,used to love to go around Crewe,Derby,Doncaster Worksto see them put together.AndGrantham to see them come down the hill and race through the station.Magic.

During my youth late 50's early 60's my Mother and I travelled from New St Stn to Holyhead then over the water to Dunlaoghaire . Then onwards to Limerick regularly , then about 1958 I went with the WVS as was, to stay with Colonel and Mrs Staniford in Hereford, on a steam train as well for the entire 6 week Summer holiday  . Those great bygone days  , definitely gone certainly not forgotten 
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 11:27:10 PM »
Had plenty of Grit in my eyes on the trips  to Crewe on a Sunday .3/6d Sunday excursion  to Crewe.
                                                                                                17 1/2p

baz

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »

During my youth late 50's early 60's my Mother and I travelled from New St Stn to Holyhead then over the water to Dunlaoghaire . Then onwards to Limerick regularly , then about 1958 I went with the WVS as was, to stay with Colonel and Mrs Staniford in Hereford, on a steam train as well for the entire 6 week Summer holiday  . Those great bygone days  , definitely gone certainly not forgotten

I was stationed in Hereford in '58, in a camp called Bradbury Lines. Hereford felt like the other side of the world in those days, mind you, I was only 17 !

JudithM

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »
Yes Roy, I understand that. I was just pointing out that it's not a new idea. Let's hope that unlike the Severn Valley Line that all the trains used and are not the old diesel stock that they use for most days only bringing the steam trains out on occasion.
That frustrated me.  I'd commented that I'd not been on steam train, so me & the then boyfriend parked at Bewdley, walked to Arley along the river with the aim of getting a steam train back.  The train that came was a diesel & we hadn't got enough time left on the car park ticket to wait for the next scheduled steam train  :P
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy