Author Topic: Charity  (Read 1336 times)

Abt

Charity
« on: April 26, 2019, 05:39:05 PM »
A few months ago I watched an appeal by a world wide charity on TV.
I was so moved that I made a donation on my phone, and got a thanks in reply.
(My charity donations are mainly made by cheque to animal charities.)
I have since been inundated by calls from the charity so many that I have asked them politely to take my number
off their records, I will make donations if I choose but I think that to be pressurised into it is tantamount to begging.
Rant over, abt.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Charity
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 06:24:23 PM »
Alberta

The trouble today is that some of even the oldest and most well known of charities have been handed over to companies that their only job is to collect money and hand over the balance to the charity after they have deducted their commission. To be honest I don't think that some of the charities involved know just how aggressive some of these collection companies are.

For instance did you know that these charities that stop you in the street and doorstep you at home trying to get you to make a monthly donation by standing order or direct debit get the whole of the first years donation as commission. So if for any reason you stop the monthly donation after a year the charity gets nothing.

Myself I have donated a percentage of my income to various charities for years now, but they are ones I have chosen myself and not those I have been browbeat into doing so. I never give at the door or in the street except on flag days.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:28:43 PM »
A few months ago I watched an appeal by a world wide charity on TV.
I was so moved that I made a donation on my phone, and got a thanks in reply.
(My charity donations are mainly made by cheque to animal charities.)
I have since been inundated by calls from the charity so many that I have asked them politely to take my number
off their records, I will make donations if I choose but I think that to be pressurised into it is tantamount to begging.
Rant over, abt.

Why not just block the number its so easy.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Chessy

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 09:05:19 AM »
Decades ago I sent a cheque of £10 to an animal charity, they wrote to my bank for my address and it was given to them, I got the same response as Abt, not written any more cheques since, I'll fill charity bags and go into shops but that's all.
Maybe my altruistic views predispose me to such propositions, but it won't stop me joining the party

m/search?q=the+farmer+and+the+cowman&sca_esv=594793247&sxsrf=AM9HkKlyGJxCXd0UyheM9ig9PiCsXAXhTw%3A1704059497453&ei=aeKRZemaG6ythbIP3eOoiAQ&gs_s

frederick

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »
Commission is the same with private pensions. Back in the 80s it was about £6,000 for everyone they signed up to a pension. So I got my own pension set up and I kept the £6,000 which would have gone in commission.      O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Scipio

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 09:12:47 PM »
I think you'll find if you make a donation , your name is then added to a list that is circulated to other charities that start sending you requests for donations . My wife started some years ago to donate to a certain charity , before she knew what was happening the world and his brother was sending requests . I can well understand why that poor unfortunate woman died some years ago because of demands from charities .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

frederick

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 10:10:53 AM »
While in the RLNI life boat staion yesterday in Tenby I put money in one of their donation boxes.    O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 04:51:02 PM »
My wife and I have several monthly direct debits for charities but, although I have researched them as much as possible, I don't really know if the money is being spent efficiently and ethically. I wish there was a national charity that we could donate to which would carry out the necessary investigations and then allocate the money to other charities appropriately.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Scipio

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 08:57:25 PM »
My wife and I have several monthly direct debits for charities but, although I have researched them as much as possible, I don't really know if the money is being spent efficiently and ethically. I wish there was a national charity that we could donate to which would carry out the necessary investigations and then allocate the money to other charities appropriately.

Ian I would agree with you there ,after my wife's experience with the polls and The Imperial Cancer Research Fund . Back in the 70's my wife was having a go on their pools coupon . One Sunday night while watching The Money Programme one of the items covered on the programme was ICRF and how two thirds of their donations were speculated on the Stock Exchange . Needless to  say the collector went away with a flea in his ear the following week .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy