Author Topic: Visit to Birmingham where I was born 76 years ago  (Read 3006 times)

linwaisee

Visit to Birmingham where I was born 76 years ago
« on: May 03, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »
I was born in Blundell Road, Greet, Birmingham in 1943. I moved to Hong Kong in 1996 and plan to return to my roots in.June for 17 days.

I hope to visit Greet Primary School and Golden Hillock Secondary School as well.as all the properties I've lived in. Besides Blundell Road that includes, Knowle Road, Douglas Road, Merecote Road and Brookvale Road in Olton. I'd also like to look at Bickenhill where my Grandfather had a weekend bungalow through the war and the rest of the 1940's.

I'm also planning a pilgrimage to St. Andrews football ground where the team I've supported since 1956 play (B C F C).

I'm pleased to see Spud is still contributing to the Forum

frederick

Re: Visit to Birmingham where I was born 76 years ago
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 11:02:49 AM »
When I started work it was at the Serck Warwick rd in 1958. I think you will wounder where you are when you return for that look around old places.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

linwaisee

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 03:05:04 PM »
My Grandmother was the supervisor of the Director's dining room at Serck, but I doubt that you would have known her since she reached retirement age (60 for women) in.1948.

I know much has changed in Brum since I lived there. My grandfather told me that the Warwick Road would be widened and that would mean Greet Post Office would be demolished and I would lose all the money in my post office savings account, so I drew it all out. Mr. Knight, the Postmaster told my Gran that I'd closed my.account on the strength of what my Granddad had told me. Of course my Granddad had been joking, but you believed your Granddad in those days ;D

MichaelKab

Visit to Birmingham where I was born 76 years ago
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 09:46:26 AM »
When youre at school age, the difference in age is more noticeable, mentally and physically, really depends on what ages you are.

Id go for it, but just be cautious.

linwaisee

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 04:02:10 PM »
I spent 28 days in the UK in June. Some spent in  London sightseeing  some in Hampshire visiting my sons, grandsons and one great grandson. The rest was spent in Birmingham and surrounding towns.

Both my wife and I could not get over the respectfulness and politeness of the Birmingham residents. Totally different to the remote and rude behaviour encountered in London. We spoke to many people of the different races that occupy the city and to all ages (including a couple of African boys travelling on our bus) Their behaviour was impeccable. I was very proud to be back in Brum. I also visited my old school and was amazed at the enormous building extensions that have dramatically increased the number of students they can now handle. Progress, indeed.

I and my wife had a wonderful time and plan to return for another visit next year.

Lineaisee

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »
Linwaisee

I'm glad to hear your return to the city of your Childhood was all you expected of it. It's good to hear someone tell as it is and not how they want to believe it is. I bet you noticed more than a few changes that have happened over the last 23 years.

Sorry I forgot to ask, as most of Blundell Road still remains standing did you manage to see your old house?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

robx52

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 08:01:23 PM »
Linwaisee l can only echo Phil's comments.

mike mancott

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 09:01:21 PM »
You gotta . . . accent the positive, eliminate the negative. Everybody singalong with Bing now.

linwaisee

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 01:58:05 AM »
Hi, Yes, I went to visit my old house in Blundell Road and considering it is over 100 years old, it was in very good condition. This proves Burberry Brick and Brummie bricklayers are worth a lot of praise. As kids we used to sneak into the quarry at Burberry Brick to play and be chased away by the night watchman, old Abba who was reported to be deaf and dumb.

I also visited the flat I lived in after getting married and the first house I bought, both in Douglas Road, Acocks Green. I visited houses I bought in Merecote Road and Brookvale Road, both in Olton before moving to Hampshire.

Despite all these adventures and because of the pleasure I got from being back in Brum, I shall be back next year to see the places I missed on my last visit and to do the things I didn't get around to do.

I am one proud Brummie.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »
Linwaisee

Glad to hear you managed to see most of what you wanted to see in Birmingham,. What did you think of our new Bull Ring it must have been a bit of a change for you. There are those of us still living here that think it's great and those that wouldn't agree with that it's great.

Personally I'm not so enamoured with the changes and the only good thing I can say about it is that there are not so many underpasses and stairs now and that the city no longer panders to the motor car. I suppose its a city for the young just as the one the built in the 60's was. Most people my age (now) hated what was done, but youngsters (as I was then) loved it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »

Linwaisee
So glad to hear you enjoyed your return visit to Birmingham. O0 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy