Author Topic: Fisher and Ludlow  (Read 7572 times)

jan

Fisher and Ludlow
« on: May 22, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »
HI Everyone,
I'm new here and I am looking for a bit of help. Does anyone know of any books/newspaper articles or photo collections or anything to do with the launch of the mini in Fisher and Ludlow in 1959. My late Dad worked on the assembly line at that time. I remember him telling us that there were lots of cameras and press around on the day of the launch. I would love to find something to show my sons(one of my sons is currently restoring an old mini).
Thanks

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Fisher and Ludlow
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »
Hi Jan,

Welcome to the site, I'm sure that if anyone on this site can help you they will. In the meabtime have you tried these sites.

http://www.madeinbirmingham.org/

http://www.austinmemories.com/page29/page29.html

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?essaymini_01f.htm

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 04:30:34 AM »
Hi Jan,

Welcome to the site. It's good to see that Phil, our resident fount of all knowledge has quickly pointed you in the right direction.  This a basically free and easy forum, we say what we think and it's usually cheerful banter and give and take.  Most of us don't live in the brum area, or even in UK anymore, me included.  All this means that we have more fun most of the time, so come and join in.

tramp

jasper14

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:38:13 AM »
Greetings Jan, welcocme to the mad hatter club...........

I know nothing about cars,someone else will help you there,
dont understand men pottering with them,truth be told I dont understand men
however we love getting new members be you in Birmingham or Timbuctoo
please join in the madness,leg pulling, true stories etc ..Nice that the ladies
numbers are growing...put that in your pipe and smoke it you males........

jan

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 03:03:14 PM »
Thanks for the nice welcome everyone.
Phil certainly pointed me in the right direction. I loved the austin site , theres tons of interesting stuff there.
I was born in Birmingham(a long time ago) , moved to Lichfield and eventually to Dublin (Irish parents). Enjoying life in Dublin and still keep in touch with the Brummy cousins.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 03:10:50 PM »
Jan

Glad to be of some small help, don't forget to keep in touch with us.  Look on us as your international cousins.  As you can see most of the members here are jotted all over the world. Of all those who are actively posting at the moment I think there is only one located within the boundaries of Birmingham.  I'm sure it won't take long to be corrected if I am in error.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »
hi Jan,
i worked at Fisher & Ludlow or Pressed Steel Fisher from 1968 to 1979 i worked in the experimental Dept making the prototype car bodies but i have worked on the mini line if your dad was there then whot is his name, i also helped to make the prototype metro we also made Alic Isigoni a mini out of aluminium for a retirement present.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

jan

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 05:18:48 PM »
Hi Frederick,
Please say you have pics of the alluminium mini- my son is drooling !
My Dad was Bart Glover, we left about 1967 to go to Dublin, so he had probably left before you started. AFAIK his job on the assembly line was spot welding the roof to the body (if that makes any sense)

frederick

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 05:40:33 PM »
hi Jan,
the experimental Dept was top secret no photos they were worried about the opposition, sorry.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

christopher

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »
The City of Birmingham Brass Band started life as the Fisher Ludlow Works Band, having been set up during the second world war by, and for, the workers of Fisher and Ludlow,
a car body manufacturing company in Birmingham City Centre. http://freespace.virgin.net/oliver.monk

townie

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 06:59:16 PM »
I had a mate many years ago who applied for a job at Fisher Ludlow in the spraying department. He had never sprayed a thing in his life never mind a car. I always remember him saying that after getting kitted up he entered the spay booth and told the person he was working with that he had no idea how to use a spray gun. What happened next I don't know but he told me he took the job just to get in. How long he lasted I have no idea. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy