Author Topic: Fisher and Ludlow  (Read 7558 times)

marshey

Re: Fisher and Ludlow
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 05:44:24 PM »
I started work as an office junior in the personnel department at Fisher and Ludlow in 1953/54.  Office manager was Harry Thorpe, other names I remember -  Joyce Teague, Bill Elkington, George Bowen,  Bill Shuttleworth, Joyce Kirby, Gillian Latour Mr Randle. and the Personnel Manager was Barry Mackie.   I was sent on half-day release (2 days per week) to Pitmans College in Albert Street, to learn shorthand/typing which help me later on when my children had grown and I resumed work as a secretary.  Other girls in the office were Audrey Bayliss, Margaret Reading, Winifred Mortimer - wonder where they are now?  -  long time ago!

castalla

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 10:11:35 AM »
George Brown used to live in my Road Millinghton in Hodge Hill remember him well along with his wife and 2 daughters, his son is on this page (sorry canīt remember his name) George must of passed away over 20 years ago

marshey

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 03:34:18 PM »
Hii Castalla, I live in Millington Road!  and its George Bowen not Brown, he did indeed work in my office, in the Sports & Social Department.  His Daughters were Georgina and Susan but he did`nt have a son?  wife`s name Ann.  It must be at least 15yrs since he passed on, his wife left to live with one of the daughters.  Small world.

castalla

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 04:05:47 PM »
Yes  my mistake it was George  Bowen.
This is from another thread ( the Birmingham History forum) that was talking abiut Fisher & Ludlow Factory and as it was  from Ray. @28beech I presumed he had a son which was a shock my self as I thought he only had 2 daughters, may be itīs a son in law

Hi Castalla, Thankyou for your lovely tribute to my Mom and Dad. Moms name was Anne and she also worked at Fisher and Ludlows. She was in the print room (1970 - 1980) and worked with Joan Evans, Tom McGilbury and Harry ? I remember your Mom and Dad too. Happy days! I have great memories of growing up in Millington Road - a really happy childhood. Mom and Dad also used F & L Social Club - George Bowen being well known in the snooker room - he played with Jack Barron and Tony Hinds - does anyone remember them?[/font][/color]

SGLawyers

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »
We represent a gentleman who was exposed to asbestos at Fisher Ludlow on Chester Road. The factory made Spitfires and Lancaster Bombers, and according to our client an asbestos roof was installed to protect it from bombing. It was then removed years later, producing so much dust that tractors made track marks, and the men working on the shop floor used to roll it up into balls and throw it like snowballs. Does anyone recall this roof and its removal? Does anyone recall when this was done or any other information about asbestos on site?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 05:04:19 PM »
What block was this done too.There was Blocks A,A1,A2,C,E The Paint Block,Experimental. I was there from 69 -79 it must have been done much before that as all the Roofs had Glass Panels
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy