Author Topic: Re: Gay Pride March  (Read 6905 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Gay Pride March
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »
Scipio

I knew Barry from a lot earlier than the Ringway and the Tow Rope in Balsall Heath. I also knew Paul (Pauline) Cross from Nuneaton who always dressed in woman's clothes, and Ricky & Connie who always dressed as men. I also knew a couple of gay lads from the Ringway, Crown & Tow rope that went by the names of Cilla & Maud who originated from Bristol.

Oddly enough we bumped into them in Bristol when me and a mate moved there for a while. They got us invited to a party in Box just outside Bath that was hosted by Viscount Weymouth at his country cottage you might realise that he was the son of the Marquis of Bath and when his father died he inherited the title Marquis of Bath.

The thing is all these people were openly gay when it was illegal and not one of them were ever arrested. I think it was only the rent boys that the police ever nicked.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 11:10:56 PM »
Scipio

I knew Barry from a lot earlier than the Ringway and the Tow Rope in Balsall Heath. I also knew Paul (Pauline) Cross from Nuneaton who always dressed in woman's clothes, and Ricky & Connie who always dressed as men. I also knew a couple of gay lads from the Ringway, Crown & Tow rope that went by the names of Cilla & Maud who originated from Bristol.

Oddly enough we bumped into them in Bristol when me and a mate moved there for a while. They got us invited to a party in Box just outside Bath that was hosted by Viscount Weymouth at his country cottage you might realise that he was the son of the Marquis of Bath and when his father died he inherited the title Marquis of Bath.

Good old days Phil

If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Des Gardner

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 07:40:17 AM »
The Birmingham Pride has to be our number one carnival two day event in Birmingham, unlike other parades in the city when the parade finishes the onlookers stay in the city to join the party, I have been going to the Birmingham Pride for many years, its a fun day for everybody......people must remember that this is a self funded carnival and does not cost the city rate payers a penny! In these days of doom and gloom around the world Birmingham should be proud that this day never fails to make people happy.

Coastal

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 04:03:06 PM »
Do they also pay for all the road closures and extra policing costs?
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Des Gardner

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 05:17:56 PM »
Err I don't know about that but its the police and the council who decide which routes the carnival goes! it used to be a straight route from the council house/town hall but with all the changes there its a slightly different route now.....but I will find out for you......some of my pictures are on flickr and on my wifes F/B page...Valerie Gardner...

astoness

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 06:48:10 PM »
The Birmingham Pride has to be our number one carnival two day event in Birmingham, unlike other parades in the city when the parade finishes the onlookers stay in the city to join the party, I have been going to the Birmingham Pride for many years, its a fun day for everybody......people must remember that this is a self funded carnival and does not cost the city rate payers a penny! In these days of doom and gloom around the world Birmingham should be proud that that this day never fails to make people happy.

well said des O0

lyn

robx52

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 07:56:18 PM »
I would think they have to pay, the RBL have to pay for road closures and policing on Remembrance Sunday marches.

Scipio

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 08:33:33 PM »
The Birmingham Pride has to be our number one carnival two day event in Birmingham, unlike other parades in the city when the parade finishes the onlookers stay in the city to join the party, I have been going to the Birmingham Pride for many years, its a fun day for everybody......people must remember that this is a self funded carnival and does not cost the city rate payers a penny! In these days of doom and gloom around the world Birmingham should be proud that that this day never fails to make people happy.

I can honestly say I've never been to one , the only carnivals I used to enjoy was the carnivals arranged by Birmingham University students . They eventually faded out some years ago
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 08:35:36 PM »
Err I don't know about that but its the police and the council who decide which routes the carnival goes! it used to be a straight route from the council house/town hall but with all the changes there its a slightly different route now.....but I will find out for you......some of my pictures are on flickr and on my wifes F/B page...Valerie Gardner...

To be honest Des I don't think I would ever go to witness the carnival
Mark Twain

Coastal

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 09:21:28 PM »
I must admit, I wouldn't dream of attending it either.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

astoness

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »
I must admit, I wouldn't dream of attending it either.

my son and his partner goes

lyn

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy