Author Topic: freeholders arms hawkes street  (Read 331 times)

kmt123

freeholders arms hawkes street
« on: June 02, 2019, 09:19:10 PM »
my husbands mother worked at this pub in the 60's does anyone remember her or knows anyone who drank there at this time?

Malcolm241

Re: freeholders arms hawkes street
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 05:21:39 PM »
In 1958 when I was a youngster, I was friendly with the landlord William (known as bill)ryder,  I was at that time doing a course with the national coal board in Cannock,  bill was a family friend. I used to go there at weekends to help out in the bar. I know bill's tenancy went into the 60's maybe as far as 67, but I am not sure. There was a bar man and a part time barmaid , there were jolly times had by most of the patrons, remember there was a strong domino's following. I am from and still am a portsmouth resident. Bill died in the 80's, his son and two daughters are still around ( I think ). And, still.  To my knowledge living in coventry. Bill was a popular landlord and there were many a back room 'lock in' illegal card games I recall.
Not that this will help you much, just general interest.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 05:40:41 PM »
my husbands mother worked at this pub in the 60's does anyone remember her or knows anyone who drank there at this time?

Sorry kmt123,

This pub was a rarity to me inasmuch as it was one of the few that I never used in my life.
Make Love Not War

photosym

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »
I lived at 76 Hawkes Street, (next to the garage). I also worked pulling pints in the Freeholders around 1966. What was the woman's name I may remember her.

kmt123

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 11:46:19 AM »
hi her name is rosemary jones

photosym

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
Sorry, the name doesn't ring any bells.

kmt123

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »
do you remember a thomas or tommy moore?

photosym

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 11:49:35 AM »
Sorry, that name doesn't ring a bell. The names I remember from Hawkes Street were: Meadows, Plant, Bradshaw, Horne, Courtnal, Jenkins.  There were three grocery shops: Molesworth's at the bottom of the road, Charlton's about half way up and below that, (opposite the Freeholders), was Mrs Neal's shop where there was hardly anything on the shelves.