Author Topic: freeholders arms hawkes street  (Read 1423 times)

kmt123

freeholders arms hawkes street
« on: June 02, 2019, 09:19:10 PM »
my husbands mother worked at this pub in the 60's does anyone remember her or knows anyone who drank there at this time?

Malcolm241

Re: freeholders arms hawkes street
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 05:21:39 PM »
In 1958 when I was a youngster, I was friendly with the landlord William (known as bill)ryder,  I was at that time doing a course with the national coal board in Cannock,  bill was a family friend. I used to go there at weekends to help out in the bar. I know bill's tenancy went into the 60's maybe as far as 67, but I am not sure. There was a bar man and a part time barmaid , there were jolly times had by most of the patrons, remember there was a strong domino's following. I am from and still am a portsmouth resident. Bill died in the 80's, his son and two daughters are still around ( I think ). And, still.  To my knowledge living in coventry. Bill was a popular landlord and there were many a back room 'lock in' illegal card games I recall.
Not that this will help you much, just general interest.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 05:40:41 PM »
my husbands mother worked at this pub in the 60's does anyone remember her or knows anyone who drank there at this time?

Sorry kmt123,

This pub was a rarity to me inasmuch as it was one of the few that I never used in my life.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

photosym

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »
I lived at 76 Hawkes Street, (next to the garage). I also worked pulling pints in the Freeholders around 1966. What was the woman's name I may remember her.

kmt123

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 11:46:19 AM »
hi her name is rosemary jones

photosym

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
Sorry, the name doesn't ring any bells.

kmt123

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »
do you remember a thomas or tommy moore?

photosym

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 11:49:35 AM »
Sorry, that name doesn't ring a bell. The names I remember from Hawkes Street were: Meadows, Plant, Bradshaw, Horne, Courtnal, Jenkins.  There were three grocery shops: Molesworth's at the bottom of the road, Charlton's about half way up and below that, (opposite the Freeholders), was Mrs Neal's shop where there was hardly anything on the shelves.

Christine Moore Rainbird

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 07:53:01 PM »
My Nan grandad and uncles all used the Freeholders from the 50s into the 60s they were Elsie, Harry, Harold and David White also friends of Charlie Barber amongst others

photosym

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 09:00:56 PM »
White rings a bell and Barber certainly does.  I think he had a son called Wally, who used to terrorize us kids.  :D

Christine Moore Rainbird

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 09:09:05 PM »
David and Harold were twins and their friend was Wally Barber. I think they used to hang round with Brian Brooke’s as well who I think lived in Hawkes Street. My mom was June White and we lived in Baker Street.
I vaguely remember the Jenkins as they were a big family as I recall and I started school with on of them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy