Author Topic: Salisbury Transmission Ltd.  (Read 2366 times)

Ian Dalziel

Re: Salisbury Transmission Ltd.
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »
I saw a Corsair last week and it looked quite modern compared to many other 1960's cars
It is often possible to turn a setback to an advantage.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2019, 03:37:11 PM »
Skinny v wide wheels - I agonised for all of 5 seconds before deciding, because interest(?!) extends beyond the STL thread, that the best thread to post the grip lab test results is the Birmingham Industrial:  http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14299.msg705872#msg705872
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »
So, were any STL products fitted to American Cars? - Not as far as I know, why? - The parent company who set up STL UK was Salisbury Axle USA, so that company looked after the American market, STL was set up to cater for the European market, but STL products did feature on American roads - Jags have always been popular witn Americans and all Jags in the 60s and 70s were fitted with STL transmission equipment.
Peg.
P.S. Attachment?: my E Type Pacific Coast Highway trip all planned, just one small matter remains - I need to win the lottery.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
My wife and I cycled Route 1, the Pacific Coast Highway (Eugene, Oregon to San Francisco) with friends and it was one of our favourite holidays. The wind behind us all the way, redwood forests, clam chowder in seaside villages and a memorable rock 'n' roll night in a saloon bar. Brilliant.
It is often possible to turn a setback to an advantage.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2019, 10:53:02 AM »
Total envy, Ian, except for the cycling bit.
Peg.
P.S. I'd be interested in details of your trip duration etc, but we'd be going off-topic and a yellow card looms.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »
In the early 1970s STL expanded considerably on the Witton site buying up a number of nearby residential properties as they came up for sale, a residents action group, made up of established residents with no will to give up their homes, was formed who expressed their views strongly at forums with the chairman, I was part of the team producing plans and submitting planning applications and my boss was summoned to the top man's office one day following his meeting with the residents, the chairman couldn't understand how the leader of the residents association was getting hold of very detailed confidential information, eventually we found out that a frail little old lady cleaner,  a member of the residents association, was gathering intelligence during her evening cleaning shift, a clear desk policy was immediately introduced when every plan and document was locked away before we went home.
There is an old saying: If you want to know what's going on in a company ask the cleaner, how true!
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2019, 12:28:41 PM »
Total envy, Ian, except for the cycling bit.
Peg.
P.S. I'd be interested in details of your trip duration etc, but we'd be going off-topic and a yellow card looms.
Hi Ian, there's now a Thread perfect for you to recount your experience, how long did it take? Did you pre-book your motel stops?
Holidays and Leisure link: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15385.msg707877#msg707877
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #73 on: Yesterday at 10:29:05 AM »
I've always taken my full lunchbreak entitlement and delighted in an extended walk, often eating my lunch as I walked, STL Witton offered great walks to all points of the compass from Witton Island but one of my favourites was heading towards Erdington and Brookvale Park, I could walk there, tour the lake and return to work easily within the hour, this all started when I had completed my first year at the Birfield Apprentice School, Hardy Spicer and returned to STL to continue my apprenticeship, at 17 I had no idea that Brookvale Park Lake was where the future love of my life Mrs Monkey (who I met at the Top Rank New Year's Eve 1969)  went sailing with her dad.
Peg. O0