Author Topic: Salisbury Transmission Ltd.  (Read 6494 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Salisbury Transmission Ltd.
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2019, 08:32:37 PM »
Birfield Apprentice School - we learned the use of the full range of advanced engineering measuring tools including: External and internal micrometer, Depth Micrometer, Vernier Caliper, Vernier Protractor, Vernier Height Gauge, Dial Test Indicator, Slip Gauges and Sine Bar, I still have The Engineer's Toolkit we were required to purchase at the apprentice school, unfortunately some items have been mislaid - but not lost. Link http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14299.msg684706#msg684706
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2019, 05:22:42 PM »
When wondering around the streets of Witton, Aston and Erdington having a Brummie accent wasn't an issue (obviously) but some years later, when living in Bournemouth, between jobs and on a bridging course, I got asked, by a course member,: Do you think having a Brummie Accent has held you back career-wise? Up until that time I had never even considered that possibility. :-[
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2020, 11:40:01 AM »
STL Football team - all works teams had to get back into shape after the Christmas and New Year festivities so I suppose you could say it was a level playingfield.
Happy New Year.
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2020, 08:53:41 PM »
During my time at STL (1965-74) one of my favourite lunchtime constitutions was to circumnavigate The Villa ground, the place was always deserted, very much like now, thanks to The Coronavirus.
Peg.   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
Birfield Apprentice School....

Peg Monkey

« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2020, 12:37:08 AM »
Merry Christmas and a Happy virus-free New Year to all ex-employees. O0 O0 O0
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2021, 04:02:23 PM »
Happy New Year (And Happy Lockdown) to all ex-STL employees. i was a fresh-faced only-just-16year-old full of hopes and dreams when I pushed through the reception doors of STL Birch Rd for my apprenticeship interview. I'm now 71 and left STL for pastures new when I was 25; it's a sombre thought that anyone older than 45 when I left is unlikely to be around now, the situation made worse by Covid-19. The sad reality is the number of ex-STL employees viewing this thread reduces with each passing year.
Stay virus-free.
Peg.
P.S. 56 years ago...........

Peg Monkey

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2021, 09:33:05 PM »
This post was prompted by something that is a blast from the past which I found as I was searching for something in my briefcase (somewhere where I dont venture often these days) - A day early September 1965, my first day at The Birfield Apprentice School based on the Hardy Spicer Factory Site, Chester Rd, Erdington. I'm living on the Lyndhurst Estate and it took me about half an hour to walk, I arrive early at the factory gates and meet up with a number of fellow apprentices, some From STL others from other companies in the Birfield Group. There is an air of anticipation and our discussion settles on our National Insurance Cards, empty of course - no NI contributions have been made so no stamps in the cards.  I'm suddenly gripped by horror - I've left my cards on the kitchen table at home.
I look at my watch - I've got 15 mins, I borrow a mates cycle and speed for home, luckily the Chester Rd has got a great cycle path so at least I don't risk life and limb heading like a bat out of hell for home. I suppose I'm about half way to my destination and I come a real cropper off the bike, my mate was taller than me and the bike saddle was too high, I tear my trousers and cut my knee but I climb back on, get home, get my cards and just get back in time for the official start at the Apprentice School, NOT A GREAT START TO MY WORKING CAREER, right? :-[
Anyway,wot prompted this trip down memory lane was I found the Brooke Drill and Reamer Engineering Data book which every apprentice was given on their first day.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2021, 09:51:43 PM »
It's still my first day at The Birfield Apprentice School - all apprentices spent their first year at the apprentice school before returning to there parent companies and we are all assembled into a lecture room and given an over-view of how our training will proceed, this includes enrolling on an engineering course at Erdington Tech, I should have seen that coming but I didn't and my heart sank - I thought I'd left school behind me but it seemed I hadn't in fact I didn't know it then but I'd just finished 5 years at senior school and I was about to start on a 6 year stint at college and the UCE. Anyway we were measured for overalls and told we each needed a toolkit which was 4 but we could pay a bit each week.
Peg
Ever wondered why the Birfield Group was so called? The group started with just two companies: Hardy Spicer, Birmingham and Laycock Engineering, Sheffield - Bir from Birmingham and field from Sheffield.