Author Topic: Salisbury Transmission Ltd.  (Read 16638 times)

Ian Dalziel

Re: Salisbury Transmission Ltd.
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »
I saw a Corsair last week and it looked quite modern compared to many other 1960's cars
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2019, 03:37:11 PM »
Skinny v wide wheels - I agonised for all of 5 seconds before deciding, because interest(?!) extends beyond the STL thread, that the best thread to post the grip lab test results is the Birmingham Industrial:  http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14299.msg705872#msg705872
Peg.

It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »
So, were any STL products fitted to American Cars? - Not as far as I know, why? - The parent company who set up STL UK was Salisbury Axle USA, so that company looked after the American market, STL was set up to cater for the European market, but STL products did feature on American roads - Jags have always been popular witn Americans and all Jags in the 60s and 70s were fitted with STL transmission equipment.
Peg.
P.S. Attachment?: my E Type Pacific Coast Highway trip all planned, just one small matter remains - I need to win the lottery.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
My wife and I cycled Route 1, the Pacific Coast Highway (Eugene, Oregon to San Francisco) with friends and it was one of our favourite holidays. The wind behind us all the way, redwood forests, clam chowder in seaside villages and a memorable rock 'n' roll night in a saloon bar. Brilliant.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2019, 10:53:02 AM »
Total envy, Ian, except for the cycling bit.
Peg.
P.S. I'd be interested in details of your trip duration etc, but we'd be going off-topic and a yellow card looms.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »
In the early 1970s STL expanded considerably on the Witton site buying up a number of nearby residential properties as they came up for sale, a residents action group, made up of established residents with no will to give up their homes, was formed who expressed their views strongly at forums with the chairman, I was part of the team producing plans and submitting planning applications and my boss was summoned to the top man's office one day following his meeting with the residents, the chairman couldn't understand how the leader of the residents association was getting hold of very detailed confidential information, eventually we found out that a frail little old lady cleaner,  a member of the residents association, was gathering intelligence during her evening cleaning shift, a clear desk policy was immediately introduced when every plan and document was locked away before we went home.
There is an old saying: If you want to know what's going on in a company ask the cleaner, how true!
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2019, 12:28:41 PM »
Total envy, Ian, except for the cycling bit.
Peg.
P.S. I'd be interested in details of your trip duration etc, but we'd be going off-topic and a yellow card looms.
Hi Ian, there's now a Thread perfect for you to recount your experience, how long did it take? Did you pre-book your motel stops?
Holidays and Leisure link: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15385.msg707877#msg707877
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2019, 10:29:05 AM »
I've always taken my full lunchbreak entitlement and delighted in an extended walk, often eating my lunch as I walked, STL Witton offered great walks to all points of the compass from Witton Island but one of my favourites was heading towards Erdington and Brookvale Park, I could walk there, tour the lake and return to work easily within the hour, this all started when I had completed my first year at the Birfield Apprentice School, Hardy Spicer and returned to STL to continue my apprenticeship, at 17 I had no idea that Brookvale Park Lake was where the future love of my life Mrs Monkey (who I met at the Top Rank New Year's Eve 1969)  went sailing with her dad.
Peg. O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2019, 09:37:10 PM »
Early 1970s - When I announced in the office, one Monday morning, my fiance and me had placed a deposit, on Sunday the day before, on a new build semi in Tamworth (near the Reliant Two Gates factory) many thought my powers of reason had deserted me, to decide to live so far away, my explanation that it was the only way we could afford a new house fell mostly on deaf ears.
As it turned out, after we had moved in (1972), I questioned the logic of my decision on more than one occasion when the oil crisis hit in 1973. Although we only had a Mini the fuel rationing allowance was not enough to cover our daily commute so we had to put contingency plans in place to spend some weekday nights with our parents in Erdington and Sutton Coldfield, thankfully petrol rationing was never introduced.
So, did our move to Tamworth prove to be a good one?  From a property ownership aspect, Yes. Due to, what I can only describe as, a freak set of circumstances the house we purchased doubled in value in 18 months.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2019, 05:01:34 PM »
1972 The time my CSE Woodwork Grade 4 paid dividends- Leave STL and head for Witton Island, head SW along Witton Rd and on your right was a great litte timber merchants, restricted space prevented huge stocks but the guy was helpful and could get most things you wanted in a day or two. Not long married and coping with a costly commute from Tamworth me and the new Mrs M were getting fed up of eating our meals off our laps so I draw on my school woodworking skills to step into the breach and volunteer to make a dining table, not from scratch but with a set of beech legs and rails, nicely dove-tailed jointed, from my friendly timber merchant, table served us well for a couple of years, until we got on our feet, and then it was retired for use as a workbench in my  shed.  O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2019, 04:04:49 PM »
I've always taken my full lunchbreak entitlement and delighted in an extended walk, .................
There were a good choice of parks within striking distance of the Witton Factory: in addition to Brookvale, Aston and Salford a bit further was Witton Lakes, but by far the biggest area of greenery was the gigantic Witton Cemetery, stretching the whole length of The Ridgeway from Brookvale Rd to College Rd.
Peg

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy