Author Topic: Camera companies of Birmingham  (Read 3196 times)

jamesneverjim

Camera companies of Birmingham
« on: June 11, 2019, 01:56:35 PM »
I am researching the various companies in Birmingham that made cameras and photographic equipment and wondered if anyone had an information they would be willing to share.  I have a long list of companies involved but any recollections or physical information about these companies would be amazing.  thanks in advance!

Lancaster[/font][/size]Underwood[/size]Philip Harris[/size]E Marlow[/size]Marlow Brothers [/size]Rendalls[/size]Coronet/Conway/Standard/Warwick [/size]Edwin Elliot/BOLCO[/size]Envoy/Photo Davelopments[/size]Midland Camera Company[/size]S Hulme[/size]Ashfords[/size]Aston camera company [/size]G Hill[/size]Griffiths[/size]W J Smith[/size]W Tylar[/size]
Pumphrey[/font][/size]
Criterion[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Camera companies of Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 02:20:48 PM »
Hi James,

Welcome to the forum, what sort of information are you looking for on these companies. With a little more information such as dates for each company I might be able to supply with locations for them if you don't have that information already.

As it looks like you are copying and pasting the relevant information, could I suggest when pasting you use the "paste as plain text" option and then you shouldn't get all those additional notations.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »
There was The Coronet Camera Company dating back to 1926 they were in Great Hampton St. They ceased trading in 1967
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

AWJD

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 05:45:55 PM »
I am researching the various companies in Birmingham that made cameras and photographic equipment and wondered if anyone had an information they would be willing to share.  I have a long list of companies involved but any recollections or physical information about these companies would be amazing.  thanks in advance!
How far are you looking to go back in time? I believe my grandfather used to run a business in Balsall Heath around 1900 making photographic equipment but have never really looked into it. I would have to check but I believe it was based in Cox Street West. I would certainly be interested in trying to find out more about the business but might struggle to work out where to begin!

AWJD

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 06:34:31 PM »
Hi jamesneverjim. I've just noticed that you own a camera made by my grandfather and therefore must know more about his business than I do! (http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6544.msg694611#msg694611).

AWJD

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 08:09:07 AM »
It looks as though the camera might well have been made by my Grandfather or one of his brothers but the firm may have taken its name from my Great Grandfather who ran the business before it moved to Cox Street West. Making scientific instruments and cameras seemed to run in the family up to the start of WW1 when they then switched, for some reason, to running a café in Highgate Road Balsall Heath. My Grandfather's wife then ran the café until the late 1940's when their son Clinton took it over who was better known as Fred - hence Fred's Cafe. 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 08:41:43 AM »
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

AWJD

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 09:57:58 AM »
That's a fantastic picture of a camera that might have been made by one of my ancestors! I need to do a bit more research but at the moment it looks as though this camera maker was possibly the younger brother of my grandfather who was also a camera maker in Cox Street West.

jamesneverjim

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »
That is the same camera that I have  - it is the only known example of a Dawkins camera as far as I am aware.  Since purchasing I have added a missing base plate of the era and lens to it

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 12:40:45 PM »

looking at the name plate  it say Edmund street I think  may be some one can look it up for you

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

jamesneverjim

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 01:15:26 PM »
Hi Phil, I have dates, locations, products and adverts in some case, but wondering if anyone had more information such as family ties to the company or business information or information about the locations they were at

Thanks for the tip about copying ... I had asked elsewhere and thought it would be the easiest way to transfer the names :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy