Author Topic: Old Candy Store on Albert St in Stechford  (Read 2003 times)

kyungblut

Old Candy Store on Albert St in Stechford
« on: July 02, 2019, 03:34:19 PM »
Hello,

My family used to own a candy store on Albert Street in Stechford Birmingham. They moved to Canada in the mid 50's and for the life of me we can't find the address nor pictures of it. I'm planning a trip next month and would love to visit the building (if it's still standing). Does anyone have any information on it by chance? I'm having no luck at all. Any pictures or any tid bits of advice would be greatly appreciated. My Aunt believes the name was "The Candy Store" but searching that generic of a name is awful lol.

Spud

Re: Old Candy Store on Albert St in Stechford
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »
I would have thought it was Albert Road not Albert St the road is still there  as far as I know. There are a number of old photos on Google Images of Albert Road. I am sure that my Friend Phil will pick up on this thread and will have more info.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »
Hello,

My family used to own a candy store on Albert Street in Stechford Birmingham. They moved to Canada in the mid 50's and for the life of me we can't find the address nor pictures of it. I'm planning a trip next month and would love to visit the building (if it's still standing). Does anyone have any information on it by chance? I'm having no luck at all. Any pictures or any tid bits of advice would be greatly appreciated. My Aunt believes the name was "The Candy Store" but searching that generic of a name is awful lol.

I've looked through the 1955 trade directory and I can find no "The Candy Store" listed however there is a A.F.J. Nevett Confectioner at 159 Albert Road. The thing is a confectioner could have as easily been a cake maker as a sweet shop, so you will either recognise the name or not.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

kyungblut

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 06:14:21 PM »
Yes it appears to be Albert Road not street sorry (bad habits). I'm getting the information from my aunt and i don't know how accurate. (some have been spot on, some information not so much) That name doesn't ring a bell, but I've asked what her maiden name is as i only know she became a Harford once married. Thank you for your help so far!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »
kyungblut

perhaps if you could give me the name of your aunt whilst she was at the shop it might help her maiden name and her married name along with the years she had the shop. I've found several other confectioners in Albert Road over the years.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

kyungblut

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
Phil,

Again I appreciate your efforts in this.

My great Nan was Doris Hilda Bonning
or My great grand dad was Henry James Harford

Apparently they owned the shop between 1950-1957.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 04:46:12 PM »
Kyungblut,

Sorry I can't find a "Candy Shop" or the names Bonning or Harford listed in Albert Street, Stechford for any of the years 1950, 1955 or 1956. Perhaps they never bothered to list the shop with Kelly's when the enquiry for listing came around. The only chance you might have now is if somebody who has access to the census or electoral roll records looks them up for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

kyungblut

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 05:38:16 PM »
ok thank you very much

mikejee

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 11:12:24 PM »
In 1955, Henry Harford is listed as at 190 Albert Road, which, in the 1955 Kellys, is listed as H.R. & E Howells, confectioners

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 12:03:02 AM »
Mike

Was that information from the electoral rolls?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 06:43:42 AM »
Yes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy