Author Topic: E W Willard & Co.  (Read 2534 times)

RodH

E W Willard & Co.
« on: July 06, 2019, 11:53:38 PM »
Does anyone have any information on EW Willard & Co. Carriage Lamp Manufacturers, 187 Newhall Street in 1912 and Willard & Wallis, Edouard Works, Charles Henry Street in 1923. I assume these are probably the same firm. EW Willard I believe to be Edward William Willard who was my great grandmother's nephew.

Alberta

Re: E W Willard & Co.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 10:20:31 AM »
A bit of family history for you
1911 , 115 Oxford road , Acocks Green
Edward William Willard age 39 b Cradley heath,  Manufacturer of Motor fittings
Clarice Laura Willard age 30 b Enfield London
Edward Lawson Willard age 7 b Acocks Green.

Edward William Willard was the son of Robert Willard and Susanna Ashwin.

1881 with his parents at 63 Cattell road
1891 with his widowed mother at 134 Coventry road
1901 with his mother at 2 Byron road Bordesley.
He married Clarice Atwood in 1902.Solihull.

RodH

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »
Hi Alberta, thanks for that! My great grandmother Elizabeth Smith (nee Ashwin) was Susannah Willard's sister. I have done quite a lot of research on the Ashwins, a fascinating family. Looking at the occupations given for the Willard sons I concluded that they must have set up in business themselves and have just come across these 2 business names. Do you have any connection to the family?

I have long been of the opinion that my grandmother was not fond of her in-laws, particularly the Ashwin side. My mother and her younger brother told a story of how Elizabeth Ashwin married beneath her to a carpenter Edward Smith and was cut off from the family. I don't think this is actually true but I think there may have been some resentment there. I would love to get to the bottom of it!

mikejee

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 10:45:32 PM »
The 1912 Kellys directory (which refers to 1911 as 1912 was publication date) lists E.W.Willard & Co Ltd, carriage lamp manufacturers, as at 187 Newhall St.
The 1913 Kellys (which would refer to 1912) lists their address as 151 Charles Henry St..
The 1915 edition lists them at 151 Charles Henry St.
In the 1921 edition (referring to 1920) E.W.Willard have disappeared, but Willard & Wallis Ltd, motor body fittings manufacturers has appeared at 151 Charles Henry St.
So it does look as if they are the same firm (possibly after a merger, though there is no Birmingham firm named Wallis in that sort of trade listed in the 1915 Kellys)

RodH

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 11:27:33 PM »
Thanks Mike, I have come across this:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im191102CVJ-Willard.jpg

I wonder how long the company survived? Edward William Willard died in 1937, 2 of his brothers Robert Charles Willard and Arthur Ashwin Willard and a cousin Ernest Edward Ashwin are described as commercial travellers in the carriage fittings trade so presumably were employed by Edward. His son Edward Lawson Willard was a traveller in radio and electrical goods, which may mean the company had changed direction or he worked for another company.

My grandfather, Charles Smith, who was also a cousin, lost his job as an accounts clerk or possibly accounts manager with the Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Works around 1930 when they were taken over by Metro Cammell. He had no formal qualification for accounts and had difficulty at that time finding work. I suspect the reason my grandmother resented her husband's family was perhaps because he was not offered a job by his cousin. Purely conjecture on my part of course. 

mikejee

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 12:06:02 AM »

Willard & Wallis disappeared from Kellys between the 1950 & 1955 editions. Soemtime between the 1933 & 1936 editions they moved to the Criterion Works, Little Bow St and by  then described themselves as motor screen manufacturers.
After the firm disappeared there was an Edward Charles Willard listed as at electrical engineer at 74, Parade in 1955. Before that he is listed
Herbert Charles Willard is listed as  a wireless dealer at 15 Ledsam St in 1940 and as an electrical engineer at 32,33 Newhall hill in 1955

RodH

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 11:51:16 AM »
Thanks for the info. It would seem that the Willards moved away from the business in the '30's. EW retired to Hastings. I suspect Wallis was an employee who became a partner and carried on running it until 1950ish. Trying to track him down.

I find this fascinating, firstly because they are relatives I never knew existed. Secondly a number of the Willards are described as commercial travelers in engineering products. I spent a lot of my working life as a sales engineer; in other words a commercial traveler in engineering products. Sometimes think fate and ancestry have your life mapped out for you!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy