Author Topic: BARFORD STREET BIRMINGHAM 5  (Read 844 times)

sailor

BARFORD STREET BIRMINGHAM 5
« on: August 01, 2019, 09:56:21 AM »
Is there anyone alive (other than me)who lived is Barford Street Balsall Heath from1950 to 1955
I lived at 4/173 Barford Street with Joe and June Hosey (Sister) and their children Peter and Margaret.
My name was Julian Alcock, and due to being a Orphan I came from Congleton ((Cheshire) to live with them. I went to Rae St , Hope Street ( not long there) and St Michaels RC Deritend (although not a Catholic). I finished my schooling at St. Michaels. I spent one year working Cotteridge Woolworth. (Mr Fry)
was the Manager) Left Birmingham 1955 for 2 year, returned to find the Family had been rehoused in a new home with ...Hot and Cold water, Inside Loo, Central Heating 3 Bedrooms and a Garden at the front and on a stone throw  away from FIELDS and COWS in Kings Norton.
I worked for the next year at LANDERS in Barford Street (trainee welder) earning £1 Ten Shillings for a 48 hr week ??  Then I took the decision that changed my life forever I JOINED THE ROYAL NAVY from the Recruting Centre in James Watt Street.
I served for 9 yrs. I did not live in BRUM again, but visit regularly to see my Relatives  there. Sadly June and Joe are no longer with, and I am now in my 79th year. So you say this is a bit of a long shot ??
Kids I knew...Peter McGann (R.I.P) Alan Millard (SPEEDY on this FORUM) Tommy Birch, Daviid light Patty [size=78%]Stanley and The Carter Bothers Dennis and Sonny. Also Peter Scott.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: BARFORD STREET BIRMINGHAM 5
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 10:35:41 AM »
Sailor

A couple of names you mention spring to mind, the first one being Landers the wireworkers its not that I ever knew anybody who worked there, but the name is just familiar. The second would be Tommy Birch the Tommy I knew was a mechanic who worked mainly on lorries, because he occasionally worked on ours. In fact for a while he used part of our yard for his business in the 1970's I guess he would be pushing 80 now if he is still around.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sailor

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »
FLASH WELDING, SPOT WELDING...THEY EMPLOYED QUITE A FEW WOMEN.
TOMMY BIRCHES DAD RAN A WAGON WHEN I KNEW THEM. SO TOMMY BEING A MECHANIC WOULD FIT THE BILL
WHAT PART OF BIRMINGHAM DID HE MOVE TO ??

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 11:08:31 AM »
Sailor

It must have been the same Tommy because I knew his dad as well and he was a haulage contractor, if I remember correctly his name was Tommy as well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sailor

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 12:16:56 PM »
Spot on Phil.
You would not have any info on Patti, would you.
I met her many many years ago in Cotteridge.
Where was Tommy living ??
Tommy was older than me.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 02:26:18 PM »
Sorry Sailor I have no further information on Tommy after the mid 1970's when last I saw him he had a repairs garage in Gaddesby Road Kings Heath and I'm not certain but I think he may have been living around the Cotteridge Kings Norton way. Would Patti have been his wife, I'm sorry but I only ever met her once.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sailor

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 02:38:36 PM »
No Phil....Pattie was his Sister.
Thanks for the info anyway.

mike mancott

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 05:39:15 PM »
Was there a bus garage in Barford Street? Perhaps mechanics worked there?

sailor

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 06:35:21 PM »
The Bus Garage was on the lower end of Barford St. Which was separated by MacDonald St. As kids we would go in the evening and sit on the parked buses until someone would chase us away (all part of the game).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy