Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320876 times)

frederick

Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 02:34:44 PM »
it looks like there are still corner shops, with all the supermarkets we have in our town the corner shops are disappearing.      :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

tramp

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 07:24:56 PM »
Here the corner shops do very well provided they don't give too much on the strap - that's the killer especially in poor areas.  They do so well because they're open from 7am till at least 11pm and they deliver free, and quickly too, faster than the pizzarias - it's built into the price.  As they're more expensive (20%) than s/mkts, I never use them although I used to walk to one ot two of them for fags, when I smoked.  I stopped almost 1,000 days ago, and have stayed stopped despite the unremitting earache at home!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 10:18:35 AM »
The day of the corner shop is over, and they will eventually go the way of the bread delivery and milk delivery men.  The supermarkets are managing to get a stranglehold on everthing.

Just look at what you can buy from these establishments now. Grocery, electrical goods, white goods, furniture, clothes, computers, Cd's in fact there is very little that you cant get from them.

As most of these supermarkets are owned by one group, what I forcast for the future is a time with no corner shops only supermarkets and these supermarkets will all be owned by one group, therefore there will be no competition and they will charge whatever they want.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »
Hi John Hall, nice to meet you, I think living in Sherbourne Rd,  you did'nt have far to go to get your weeks supply of coal,. ( what part of Sherbourne Rd did you live, ? the top, middle, or bottom part, ) did you ever go to the youth club that was in Sherbourne Rd school,?? ....J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Mary8790

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 11:47:39 PM »
I used to go to a great pub called The Railway in Clifton Road. It was run by Mick & Delia Hegarty who went back to live in Ireland and Mick has since died.  Does anyone know if the pub is still there.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 02:25:03 PM »
Hi Mary

The Railway public house on the corner of Malvern Rd and Clifton rd is still standing I believe. I am informed that it no longer a pub and is now something to do with the Inner City Urban Farm project that has been running for sometime in the are.

Its laughable, when we lived round there as kids all we had to amuse us was bomb pecks. It was that or walk to the nearest park.

I remember the Railway as a good clean house, and it kept a good pint. I was never a regular there and used the Crown in St Paul's Rd more, but my local was the Talbot at the top of Larches St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mary8790

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 08:23:48 PM »
That's a shame that the Railway pub is no longer a pub.  We had some great nights in there, used to get locked in and got fed as well.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »

In my local we used to go in on a Friday night and come out at closing time Sunday. The gaffers wife used to cook us a Sunday dinner. If before then we had drunk enough or just couldn't take any more we just went home.

In all the years I drank there, I never knew there to be any trouble, mind you those that weren't part of my family. we had knew them all of our lives. It wasn't a pub that many strangers came in to.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 08:59:17 PM »
Phil,

What an outstanding example of dedication, perseverance and unflinching application to the task before you all - as one you bent your arms to the attainment of your goal - verily I say unto thee, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Littlesis

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 03:46:32 PM »
Hello to you all, I have been popping in and out of this site for a while and have plucked up courage to join. I'm a Balsall Heath lass, memories many but one sticks in my mind. Pig bins, we had one in Balsall Heath Road and it would fascinate me as a child when the tramps would go and take food out and eat it. As I got older and maybe wiser I realised how bad things must have been for them, but then as a child GROSS but fascinating.

sueb

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »
Hello Littlesis and welcome.  Quite a few of the members used to live in Balsall Heath as children so I expect you'll all have lots to chat about.  I'm sure you'll enjoy this forum, it's great fun and often very informative and interesting.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy