Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320877 times)

Gee Gee

Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #363 on: October 06, 2011, 08:46:58 PM »
Roy,
     Yes Roy Danks did move out to Redditch. He used to be a very keen fisherman.
When joyce Kirby married Moss Hawkins they moved over to Bordersley Green,lived by the Broadway.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #364 on: October 06, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
gee gee i was chatting to roy danks son ian danks a few months back hes wed now and got a few kids
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frank

« Reply #365 on: October 11, 2011, 02:17:16 PM »
Hello Gee Gee. I read your post about Michael Clapham, and was wondering if he was the same Michael Clapham that i knew. Was his house up an entry in Wenman Street, and you could also see it in Vincent Street across a small bomb site. Frank Williams a School friend of mine lived almost opposite the bomb site, i used to go to the Claphams i knew with my Dad, i do not know why my dad visited them but if my memory is right Mr Clapham and my Dad were workmates at Fort Dunlop. Or may be they were friends when they were younger, when we did visit them i used to play outside with the lads while our Dads talked. I am going to try and upload a photo which i am sure was taken at the Labour Club on the Moseley Road, that you said Mr Clapham was the Chairman of. I will be 69 in two weeks time and my brother Colin is 66, i am not on the photo but my brother Colin is, he is the one pulling a funny face just in front of Father Christmas. All the best Gee Gee and thanks for the memories. Frank.

MHenryD

« Reply #366 on: October 12, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
 8) Have just discovered this forum; wow! what a great opportunity to travel down memory lane, (a trip i seem to make more often the older i become! ) I lived in Cheddar Road with my Nan from 1953-57 attending Mary Street. Calthorpe Park was my playground and can remember going to the Luxor Cinema with my Grandad twice a week. Have memories of shopping with my nan in Balsall Heath Road and Gooch Street, once tavelling back along Clevedon Road with a live chicken which she killed in the back yard and we sat and plucked it together.
Moved across the border( Belgrave Road ) into Highgate ( Hick Steet ) in ·57 staying on at Mary Street until ·59 when i went up to Moseley Grammar.Used to go the Alhambra on Saturday mornings and the Imperial on Saturday afternoons. The Library and Swimming Baths on Moseley Road were regularly used.
My mum used to work in a pork butchers on Gooch Street and pigs trotters were a regular Saturday night treat!
Although I now live in Spain my memories of the early years are strong and it will be a pleasure to share a few more in the future.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #367 on: October 12, 2011, 08:46:50 PM »
Hi there Henry

Welcome to the forum, you will find several members on this forum to relive old times with. So just settle in and enjoy yourself.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #368 on: October 12, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
8) Have just discovered this forum; wow! what a great opportunity to travel down memory lane, (a trip i seem to make more often the older i become! ) I lived in Cheddar Road with my Nan from 1953-57 attending Mary Street. Calthorpe Park was my playground and can remember going to the Luxor Cinema with my Grandad twice a week. Have memories of shopping with my nan in Balsall Heath Road and Gooch Street, once tavelling back along Clevedon Road with a live chicken which she killed in the back yard and we sat and plucked it together.
Moved across the border( Belgrave Road ) into Highgate ( Hick Steet ) in ·57 staying on at Mary Street until ·59 when i went up to Moseley Grammar.Used to go the Alhambra on Saturday mornings and the Imperial on Saturday afternoons. The Library and Swimming Baths on Moseley Road were regularly used.
My mum used to work in a pork butchers on Gooch Street and pigs trotters were a regular Saturday night treat!
Although I now live in Spain my memories of the early years are strong and it will be a pleasure to share a few more in the future.
Hi Neighbor, I used to live in Coxs St West, we may have evan thrown stones at each other,..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Meaty66

« Reply #369 on: October 12, 2011, 10:27:46 PM »
Hi John can you help i had cousins living in Highgate St there names were harry and john Monnington if you remember there father was stbbed outside the Clements arms many a year ago but i can't seem to locate them harry is a bit older than me but John is younger don't know if either has passed away but would love to find them. alan

My Nan was a Monnington and I believe it was her brother that was stabbed.

john2000

« Reply #370 on: October 12, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »
My Nan was Violet Monnington and it was her brother that was stabbed.
I remember the incident, the was stabbed outside the Clemants arms, there was also a pub half way up on the left the barman was named Harry, he always worked at the Star corner of Gooch St and Hope St,

Meaty66

« Reply #371 on: October 12, 2011, 10:44:10 PM »
I think that Freddie, one of my Nan's other brothers used to work at the Star.  Was the Harry that worked there known as Snowy by any chance?

john2000

« Reply #372 on: October 12, 2011, 10:53:28 PM »
I think that Freddie, one of my Nan's other brothers used to work at the Star.  Was the Harry that worked there known as Snowy by any chance?
That I cant remember, but I always got on with Harry very well,

Gee Gee

« Reply #373 on: October 13, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »
Hello Gee Gee. I read your post about Michael Clapham, and was wondering if he was the same Michael Clapham that i knew. Was his house up an entry in Wenman Street, and you could also see it in Vincent Street across a small bomb site. Frank Williams a School friend of mine lived almost opposite the bomb site, i used to go to the Claphams i knew with my Dad, i do not know why my dad visited them but if my memory is right Mr Clapham and my Dad were workmates at Fort Dunlop. Or may be they were friends when they were younger, when we did visit them i used to play outside with the lads while our Dads talked. I am going to try and upload a photo which i am sure was taken at the Labour Club on the Moseley Road, that you said Mr Clapham was the Chairman of. I will be 69 in two weeks time and my brother Colin is 66, i am not on the photo but my brother Colin is, he is the one pulling a funny face just in front of Father Christmas. All the best Gee Gee and thanks for the memories. Frank.

Hello Frank.
Sorry for the delay in this reply,sunning our selves at the moment in sunnyier climes.
Yes mick did live in Wenman street by the entry.
Micks father did work at fort Dunlop. He (Micks Father) suffered a fatal heart attack on the bomb site between Vincent street and Wenman Street.
It is my sister who is providing me with all the information.She can recall the names Frank Williams and phil Harris,but can not recall from what capacity.Thinks that it may have been a social thing at the Labour club. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy