Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320859 times)

john2000

Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »
I know that by looking at the photo you may not think much of the houses in Chedder Rd, but they where nice ( a sort of posh ), they looked nice and where kept in good order, and the lady that sold the toffee apples lived some where near the lamppost,if I remember right Nr: 20 somthing,
But today if you go down there today, you would not think they nice houses, today they are all different coulors, and look as if a blind man had painted then ( its everywhere), but like most things its time for us old ones to remember, and the young to look at what they think is smart today, because nothing lasts forever,

J2..
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

janey

« Reply #221 on: May 01, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »
John I remember when  i was very small, my parents would take us to Cannon Hill, on Sundays, they would let us run along in front part of the way, you know avoiding the cracks and things like that, but when we crossed from Longmore St, we had to walk nicely, talk quietly because it was a really nice area, they wouldn't have appreciated screaming little kids skipping and running, and making a racket, my who could have guessed what it would become,

john2000

« Reply #222 on: May 01, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »
John I remember when  i was very small, my parents would take us to Cannon Hill, on Sundays, they would let us run along in front part of the way, you know avoiding the cracks and things like that, but when we crossed from Longmore St, we had to walk nicely, talk quietly because it was a really nice area, they wouldn't have appreciated screaming little kids skipping and running, and making a racket, my who could have guessed what it would become,

I think a nice place was Canon hill Park Rd, ( from Edward rd right up to the park entrance), that was a nice area it even had trees at the side of the road, I never knew any one who lived there, but they had a small garden in the front, I think it was that, that made the special, I think later most where turned into bedsits, I think anything on the otherside of Edward Rd from Hallam St down to the Pershore rd had some very nice houses, ( I was told that before the war, the maids used to come out and tell the children that where making a noise to move away,) dont think you could do that today, you would get your windows smashed if you did...J2

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: May 01, 2011, 04:15:12 PM »
hi john that was a nice road posh well it was to us mind you any big house was posh   now your on about the maid telling the kids to sod off  well i do not think you would get a maid to work there now john ;D ;D ;D
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #224 on: May 01, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »
Most of the houses in Balsall Heath getting down toward the Pershore Road were what we would now call posh. Especially those past the River Rea which in reality were in Edgbaston.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #225 on: May 01, 2011, 06:37:48 PM »
I went to Tindal St School from 1948, and then Moseley Grammar until 1960

Wonderon, I'm ex-MGS too (1954-62).      What are your dates?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

wonderon

« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2011, 04:57:51 PM »
I started at MGS in 1955 after passing the 11-plus and was there until 1960. I left to join the RAF, but before that worked with my Dad for about 3 months at Harris & Sheldons in town. I was in the same Form as Chris Spedding (ex Roxy Music, & "Motorbiking")and Keith? Pritchard, who I believe has now passed away, from The Fortunes.  Also, Jasper Carrott was there at the same time but a year or so below me, and therefore a "fag" and not worthy of consideration!
As far as Cheddar Rd being "posh" is concerned - we had the usual tin bath hanging on the wall next to the one and only outside toilet, by the "coal hole", and the mangle, and the wash tub + dolly. However, we were better off than my Gran, who lived in George Street, and had to share her outside Loo with two other households! so maybe we were a bit up-market compared to others! We also had electric light, although next door, No 8, had gas lighting until the 1950's (Cissy West was the name of the old lady who lived there). I can still remember the "pop....pshhhhh" sound when she turned the lights on!   

planetmalc

« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »
I started at MGS in 1955 after passing the 11-plus and was there until 1960. I left to join the RAF, but before that worked with my Dad for about 3 months at Harris & Sheldons in town. I was in the same Form as Chris Spedding (ex Roxy Music, & "Motorbiking")and Keith? Pritchard, who I believe has now passed away, from The Fortunes.  Also, Jasper Carrott was there at the same time but a year or so below me, and therefore a "fag" and not worthy of consideration!
As far as Cheddar Rd being "posh" is concerned - we had the usual tin bath hanging on the wall next to the one and only outside toilet, by the "coal hole", and the mangle, and the wash tub + dolly. However, we were better off than my Gran, who lived in George Street, and had to share her outside Loo with two other households! so maybe we were a bit up-market compared to others! We also had electric light, although next door, No 8, had gas lighting until the 1950's (Cissy West was the name of the old lady who lived there). I can still remember the "pop....pshhhhh" sound when she turned the lights on!   

Thanks for that.      I remember all those guys, plus 'Bunny' Bainbridge who was also in the Fortunes.      Knew a few others from your year, too: Micky Lenton; Micky Maughan (RIP, died aged 19); and Tony Hine.      Worked in the labs at Dunlop for 3 years with Pete 'Piggy' Smith (He was a Paint Technologist, I was a Polymer Chemist).       Happy Days, eh.      Have you been on the Moseleians site yet, and spotted yourself on the long all-school photo's?

By the way, you can still get all that 50's stuff in Cheddar Road today, but it's called 'degredation' and it costs extra! ;D   
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

jtafridi

« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »
Has anyybody got any photos of Balsall Heath road just up from the Mary Street corner opposite the entrance to Mount Pleasant.I lived there in the 70's and I'm trying to amass a photo collection of all the places I've lived in since I was born for the family archives.

I think there was a shop on the corner of Mary Street run by an elderly couple Mr and Mrs Gould?

Any memories of Mr Busby organist at St Pauls?

john2000

« Reply #229 on: May 09, 2011, 04:37:35 PM »
Has anyybody got any photos of Balsall Heath road just up from the Mary Street corner opposite the entrance to Mount Pleasant.I lived there in the 70's and I'm trying to amass a photo collection of all the places I've lived in since I was born for the family archives.

I think there was a shop on the corner of Mary Street run by an elderly couple Mr and Mrs Gould?

Any memories of Mr Busby organist at St Pauls?

Just wait a while, I'm sure Phil can help you, or Andy Capp, he used to live close to there, ( if he's still alive, ;)  )...J2

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #230 on: May 09, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
Hi there jtafridi

I'm sorry but I have posted all the photos of Balsall Heath Rd that I have. Just type Balsall Heath Rd into the search box and look at all the posts it brings up there will be quite a few. Either that or just search through the two Balsall Heath threads.

From your description of where you lived, you must have lived very close to some distant relations of mine. Do you recall a family called Houghton?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy